What can you do in this situation? Doctor implying a threat to patient--

Another PIOG encouraged me to ask this question. I have always wondered what others would have done or what options I had.
A doctor threatening a patient that "they have LOST their 12years worth of medical records' because the patient has decided to see another doctor.
 This actually happened to me. I wish I had recorded it! (but that's illegal)
 To this day it still bothers me because he nonchalantly threatened me in this way....it was like saying.. Ok, you want to go see someone else..you won't be taking all your records with you because we have conveniently LOST all your medical records from here, you'll start all over from scratch!!. I felt threatened into staying.
What do you do in that case? I was astounded and felt like I didn't know where to turn for real HELP in this situation. It made me feel small and helpless against him and the medical profession.
You turn him into the hospital(for example),, they take his side etc. You get a lawyer...chances are he can ensure that nobody in town will SEE you because he has friends and connections that I know nothing about.....It's a losing battle, it seems like. Needless to say....I'm still with that same doctor. (Neurologist) I couldn't take any chances. I'm chronically ill and can't bear the suffering without my 7 daily medications. I never could understand why he wouldn't want another doctor to have my 12 years worth of medical history and records.  It doesn't make sense and I was probably wrong for staying but.....in my situation at that time (if you only knew)..I felt I was stuck.  A recent divorce, no vehicle and barely making rent and I needed my medical care for survival or I wouldn't be around for my girls.
What can a person do in this situation? Legally or otherwise?
I would STILL like some 2nd opinions ,but am too afraid to go through all that again if I try to.  I'm at a real loss here and so is my DH and family. We are all apalled truthfully.

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 4:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Health

• just leave.
    allow your next dr. to request the medical records from the current dr.
    are there medical issues that require your medical records?
    personally, the only medical records that i have are from my homebirthed babies.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You NEED a lawyer. Like you need your meds. I am fairly certain he's violating the law. I'm thinking the lawyer you need is the District Attorney.

Me, I'd start from scratch. I've had to do so many times because there hasn't been universal health recording. I keep my medical history in my head.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Thank You both so much for answering. I now have a lawyer and a new Dr. , have to admit. I was very scared. I've had so many, many cat scans, x-rays, MRI's and tests, tests & more tests over the years, I just couldn't do without all that.
    PLUS, I see my Dr. 1x every 30 days for 12 consecutive years now that...the record history is not something I can do without for new Dr or for any reason.
    Your answers gave me some extra strength to just go forth and DO IT! Thank You again!!
    Like people.....(bcz they are people too), not all doctors have perfect integrity all the time. This is one of those times.
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2011