Contractions!

So this is my first baby, and I'm 37 weeks. Today I have had what feels like one big long continuous contraction, strong enough that I called my area clinic I've been going to and they told me to come in. It started small, like period cramping, and moved up to my whole belly and made my back hurt. I went in and the doctor acted like I was lying, saying it was too early for me to be coming in with contractions. They set me up on the monitor, and sure enough there they were, about one minute long five minutes apart. She's like, "Oh, I guess you ARE having contractions." Duh! Then she tells me I'm probably just dehydrated, to go home and drink some water, and come back if they're 3 minutes apart, but I can't tell, it feels like one big one! Do I just wait until my water breaks? My belly feels like someone had tied a belt around it and is squeezing continuously and my back still hurts. What should I do?

Squirellybur

Asked by Squirellybur at 4:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Take warm shower, then rest on your left side. See if any of that helps. If not, call your doctors office or l and d. You can never be too careful. You have some precious cargo.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Is it continuous with stronger ones mixed in? If it is I say definitely go. I have 2 and with both of mine my water didn't break until after I got to the hospital and was almost ready to have them. My contractions with my first one started out exactly like yours did except mine had high points where it hurt to move or even breathe and then I could function normally after a little bit. Plus, you need to make sure that you did follow their directions because the first thing they are going to do is hook you up to an IV and give you fluids. When did you go in though? If you have been keeping up with it then I would go back if you are still hurting after say 10-12 hours
    2_amazing_boys

Answer by 2_amazing_boys at 4:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Honey sometimes they have to break your water, it doesnt always break on its own. You go in when you feel like you need to. Dont worry about what they think. This is about your baby. It sounds like contractions to me but maybe a bath will ease them?? See if you can drink more fliuds for a little bit, but if they thought you were dehydrated, they should have given you an iv. Hopefully you wait a few more days but good luck hun. Youll do great!!
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Thanks for the answers guys. It all started around two today, I went in around 3:30, and just now got back home. And I am definitely NOT dehydrated. I drink water like a madman :) I guess I'm gonna lie down and wait a bit, and if they get stronger, I'm gonna go to the hospital instead. The lady I saw today was a damn quack.
    Squirellybur

Comment by Squirellybur (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011