Only 150 pages in, and I'm already creeped out . . .

I'm reading a book, One Second After, that imagines an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack on the US. An EMP can supposedly be triggered by a nuclear bomb explosion high in the atmosphere. The result is the destruction of everything electrical/computerized in the area.

Ever lost your power due to weather, or had your computer fried as a result of an electrical strike? (I've had the latter happen to me.) Imagine that happening all over the US. Now imagine that scenario going on for weeks, months, years? That is the plot of the book.

There are some who do believe that this is a realistic scenario for a terrorist attack. While I refuse to panic, this is something I'd like to do a little more research on. In the meantime, I plan to finish the book and let my husband read it before I have to give it back to the library.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 4:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• There's another book, called Arc Light. Similar idea, but a global story about events outside the US, not just inside it. You might want to check it out after you finish this one. And yes, it's a realistic possibility we have contingency plans for.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Arc Light. Similar idea
    H-Tina

Answer by H-Tina at 5:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Thanks, NP. I have also read Terri Blackstock's Last Light, which is the same scenario but with a Christian perspective.
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I haven't read it but I'm sure It's possible...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011