Ever wonder how many hypochondriacs are worse because of the internet?

My SIL is. She mocks everyone's symptoms and then goes online to get info and conditions. Her Dr rules them out and she gets pissed. When she gets tired of nobody believing her the symptoms mysteriously vanish. She claimed to have ovarian cysts when she knew I had a long history of them. Little did she know, they can be proven with an ultrasound. The E.R. is very familiar with her. It's exhausting running her for these "issues." We'll never know when it is serious because we don't believe her anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Health

• The internet is VERY bad in that reason. People should NOT be diagnosising themselves. I could have a numb toe, google that and end up with MS lol. It's crazy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• yes and I've known a few like that. I have known some that actually mimic other women's medical problems. I'm like you can't possibly have that much wrong with you! I haven't been to a doctor for any chronic illnesses in years.
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I learned long ago not to google information for what certain things can mean, and I'm far from being a hypochondriac. Google pulls up some really scary stuff for things that are usually very minor.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• The internet isn't all bad for this purpose. My husband never goes to the dr. Well he went to bed one night with his leg feeling like it does when it falls asleep. He ignored it but thought it was weird. He woke up the next morning and it was swollen. He showed me and it scared me. It was huge and hard as a rock. He googled it without telling me and one of the possibilities was a blood clot. He told me, very calmly that he wants to see the dr. We took him in and the dr took 1 look at it and said to get him to the ER right now. We took him, he had an ultrasound done and sure enough, blood clots. He then decided to tell me he knew that from seeing it on the internet. They clots were ready to break apart and travel to his heart and lungs. Had he not gone in RIGHT THEN we may have lost him, it was that close of a call. Had he not looked this all up, he probably would be here today.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes and my mother drives me crazy because if she sees something on the net or tv she's convinced she has it or someone she knows has it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Mt sil is just like that. It is so irritating.
    syida

Answer by syida at 11:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011