Positive lead test!!

I took my youngest in for a yearly, and they did a lead test... it came back high. So they did it again thinking it was just a false positive, nope, second time it came back high as well. So they tested my other two boys that were with me, they were fine. Theyk took a blood sample and sent it out for testing, and we are waiting for the results.

He has NO symptoms of lead poisoning. The ped kept reassuring me that its possible that the test is wrong, and kept saying that he has not signs of lead poising. But regardless, I'm freaking out. I'll be taking him to my ND tomorrow while we wait for results and next week we will take our 3 and 4 yr old to be tested as well. I keep going over the house and the yard.... I don't get it, I dont' know where it could be coming from. The ONLY thing I can think of the sand box. We just got it not to long ago, our two youngest boys like to play in it a lot, and I ended up taking our youngest and not letting him go out to the sand box any more because he kept putting sand in his mouth then spitting it out.

Has anyone else had a positive lead test? Can you tell me what happened?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 5:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Many years ago we lived in an old apartment that had paint that was peeling on the outside. I caught my sister putting paint chips in her mouth. and I told my Mom. She took her to the Dr. They did a test and it was high. All they did was have some people come to the apartment and test places. After that we moved because they said the paint was lead and had to be professionally removed. My Mom had to watch her diet really close for a while but 3 months later the level was down. I think it was 6 months later it was totally normal. I do know removing the source of lead and diet are most important. There is a treatment. It is called chelation. They give you drugs that bind to the metals so they can be excreted in the urine. Do you have any antique toys they play with or around? Any brand new toys made in China? Those and old lead paint or decomposing paint are the most common sources.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Was the first test a urine or blood test? Last year we went around and around with both kids having high levels of lead in their urine. We lived in an old house and renovated it before we had kids, and we figured that the lead paint dust went into the air vents where we breathed it for years. We did 10 rounds of chelation, and I saw no change at all in the kids. When we retested, their levels were all over the board. Some went up, some went down. I have zero faith in those tests now and I am kicking myself for putting my kids through all of that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• We live at my in laws, their house is older, but was completely redone in the 80's and again re painted last year. I spend a lot of time over at my brothers, but their place was built in the 80's and was redone on the in side 2 yrs ago. Most of their toys are new, the ones he really plays with the most are plastic.

I keep going through toys, walking around the house.... could it be the water? Our water is filtered twice because of nitrates... but could it be maybe the pipes. I do know that the city's piping is older.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• JulieJacobKyle,

The first two tests were just a blood prick test, then they drew a vile of blood, but I don't know when we will get the levels back. I'll take him to my nature path tomorrow morning when they open.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Was this a Doctors Data test?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Was this a Doctors Data test?

Not sure, the first two test were small amounts of blood and the test was done there in the office. There 3rd test was a vile of blood that they sent out for testing.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• They banned lead in paint and pipes around 1974. Since the places your kids play were done after that, they should be clear of lead. Our 1st house was built in 1954 and had chipping lead paint. DD was tested and was negative. Do be aware that lead tastes sweet. At my parent's house, I remember their water tasting sweet when I had a mid-night sip. In retrospect, it was the taste of the lead in the solder because the water was sitting in the pipes for a while.

Your in-laws home might have lead in the pipes.  Be sure to run the water to wash the lead out in their home - just in case.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• His levels were boderline high 9.40 they want him back in 3 mo. Our Naturepath is perscriping him a chletation formula. Our 3 and 4 yr old will be tested next week. My father in law is going to have the water tested for lead to be safe. If its not that, we were told that we can contact the health department and see if someone can come out and help us locate what he got into. I don't want to wait 3 mo to find out if it gets better or worse.

JSD24, I will let the water run, thank you for that tip. I think we will be getting the water tested this next week. Hate waiting to find out. If there is something slowly poisoning my kids I want to know what it is right now!!! I may just go get bottled water in the mean time, and keep the kids outside as much as possible till we can figure it out.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 1:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Was the paint stripped from the home before it was repainted? Because the home is older, if they just repainted over it, then there might still be lead paint underneath?
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 7:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2011

• my inlaws insist that the paint was stripped, but I'm not so sure, I've ordered a lead test kit, well 2 since the only have 4 tests per pack, so we will be testing EVERYTHING. If its the walls, then we will have no other choice then to move out, I don't see my in laws stripping and painting their whole house.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2011