Were you raised with Alcohol abuse in your family and do not drink because of it?

I was. My parents turned to alcohol in the 70's when they lost their job & home and everything just went downhill from there.
I remember it well. They drank together which was really horrendous after a time because it made them both crabby, sarcastic and they argued and fought over everything.
The 5 of us children were living through this the best we could and it is most definitely the reason I do not like alcohol today.
I have an occasional glass of wine or a spritzer but that's it.
I was just wondering how many others out there were raised in an alcoholic situation and how it has had an effect on you today?

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 5:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• yes
    99% of my family consists of drunks
    I made a conscious decision to be nothing like that.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My dad was until I turned 10, then he quit and hasn't touched it since, (I have never been more proud of him of anything ,than I am for him putting the alcohol down) but yeah I seen what it did to my family and have never touched the stuff.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 5:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my mother chose alcohol over me when i was 5 years old.. i remember to this day asking her do you love me? she said yes... an i said if you do can you stop drinking.. she said i dont love you that much to do that. after that day i promised to never drink an end up like her.. all ive known her as is a drunk shes currently homeless an i have no idea where shes at but thats ok.. seeing her like that and knowing her as that person makes me a better mommy to my kids since i dont drink an never plan to :) so it all worked out. I just dont understand how she could have left me for drinking.. being a parent is the best feeling in the world i wouldnt trade it for anything
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 6:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was and I dont drink.
    My husband grew up with an alchholic father and he has started to drink every night and its getting to me.
    I have childern thatrs not how I want them to grow up, he does not get nasty but I dont want to have to worry about it either.
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 5:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I wasn't, but both my parents come from an alcoholic parent. But they didnt' shun alcohol because of it, they were just carefull and responsible about it. They were honest about it with my brother, Sister and I. So because of that we've all been carefull and alcoholism isn't a problem in our family. We all know that the addiction potential is there, so tread lightly because of it lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My grandpa died when I was a toddler. He had a bad drinking problem. My brother was a bing drinker. I learned from watching him not too drink. Well drink not to drink to excess.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes and my husband was, too. His mother was a horribly violent drunk (she will never meet our children). Neither of us drink.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my mom is a alcoholic who hasn't drank since i was born, my dad gets drunk several times a month, but only because he likes to, my step mom is a bad drunk. One of my brothers is an alcoholic who stopped drinking about 5 years ago after drinkng ruined his life. i drink some, but i have never gotten drunk, and i dont do it often.

happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 5:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yep, my dad scaredme pretty bad when I was a child. If he didn't come home till really late we knew we were in trouble,my mom would tell us to hide,but it didn't always work out that way. I remember one night I got thrown into my kitchen my ribs hit the corner of the wall. I had lots of trouble for a long time. Also sometimes it would get so bad we would have to pack up and leave and go somewhere safe for the night. Those were rought times I'm sure for my poor mom. But we made it through!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Both Dh and I grew up in toxic environments and neither of us drink unless it's a social situation but we're both at the point that even then we'll pass.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2011