Low platelet count in pregnancy and prednisone?...

have you ever had/have a low platelet count while pregnant? were you ever on prednisone while pregnant? if so, what was your dosage? Thanks!

GodBless_MyKids

Asked by GodBless_MyKids at 6:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i had a low platelet count but never put on meds it just made me stay sick all the time and dehydrated
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• thank you!! My platelet count is at 37,000... and the doctor wants it to be at 100,000 to 200,000... and he also put me on 40mil a day of prednisone till i go into labor and then boost it when I'm in labor... but, i really complained and tried to get him to lower the dosage because i freaked out.. and he is sending me to a specialist at Vanderbilt!
    GodBless_MyKids

Answer by GodBless_MyKids at 7:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I was on prednisone when I found out I was pregnant. 25mg I think. I was told as long as I stopped the baby would be fine, since I had been on it for just 3 days when I found out. I am not sure of the side effects with pregnancy, but if you doctor put you on it, then it must be ok. I am sure he doesn't want you to sue him for anything that could happen to your baby.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Just an update.. they had me get an IVIG as well ... my platelet levels went up to over 100,000.. and they induced me at 38 weeks and 4 days.. so, after the prednisone for 3 weeks and an IVIG, and having my baby 10 days early... I now am at home with my perfectly healthy baby! Thanks! Blessings~
    GodBless_MyKids

Answer by GodBless_MyKids at 11:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2009