Do you think it is appropriate to call a daughter a step daughter when the question does not in anyway matter that it is a stepchild and not a biological child?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 5:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I find it more disturbing when someone constantly has to make the distinction between 'their' kids and their stepkids. They're ALL your kids.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• because she has a mother, im just the stepmom. to her she is daughter to me she is step daughter. i love her the same but she is still my step daughter.
    esmith1984

Answer by esmith1984 at 5:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I say call it like it is. Step-Child is a term used to describe kids that are not biologically yours, but rather your spouses. What's wrong with it? If I were divorced and DH remarried, MY KIDS would be her STEP KIDS and she damn well would not refer to them as simply HER kids, for they wouldn't be. Oh, and vice versa. :) I don't forsee ever being there though.

Anonymous

• All I can say, is in my family (even though it doesnt apply to my immediate family...but in my extended family), identifying steps and half as such would NOT happen. I don't like having that distinction. To me, it makes it feel like the step/half is less of a family member, and to me, I would never want that. I don't think identifying a person's biology is necessary.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have a 'step' Mom but I never said step unless I have to explain people, LOL.
    breezymommie

Answer by breezymommie at 8:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Well I don't have any step kids but maybe the step mother is not close to the step kids. Maybe they are with their bio mom most of the time. That would be a reason. I guess also (sadly) some don't like their step kids and maybe thats why they want to make it clear that they are not their bio kids.....idk
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I dunno. My parents are both remarried, and I sure as hell don't consider them step parents, and don't want to be considered a step child by either one of them. I HAVE parents, my mom and my dad. Don't get me wrong, I get alone with my parent's spouses, but I AM NOT their kid, and they are NOT my parents. I don't use the term step or otherwise.
    Anonymous

• It is up to the step daughter in question. I however do not correct people that call me mom around my skids. Its really none of thier buisness unless its a doctor asking for medical reasons. I dont feel the need to explain my life to most people. My SS9 will half the time, and thats his perrogative.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Personally I like the term "bonus" ---- I have bonus boys/kids/children...... I am their bonus mom..... because although we are all my family, they have a biological mom.... only one of those.
    Jmomma532

Answer by Jmomma532 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011