Chewing gum safe for pregnancy?

Does anyone know about chewing gum safe for pregnancy? They all seem to have aspartame and BHT and I have read to stay away from those to ingredients. Mint gum is the only thing to calm my nausea

simple frown

Amymama83

Asked by Amymama83 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I chewed gum during my pregnancy with all 3 of my kids. If you dont feel comfortable chewing it ask your doctor if it is safe or you can try googling it.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I believe small amounts of aspartame are ok... the gum can't have to much I'd say. Ask at your next doc visit. But personally I'd say it's ok... especially if it's the only thing to calm your nausea. But your doc has the final say.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Glee gum. I ordered it online when I was pg. Not sure the site, but I'm sure googling it would be easy. It's also nice because it is without dairy products too
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• thanks ladies, I got to the docs in a week I'll ask. I feel like EVERYTHING is bad for you these days. frustrating :/
    Amymama83

Comment by Amymama83 (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If you don't feel comfortable with regular gum, you can buy gum from the health food store that doesn't contain BHT or aspartame or any other artificial ingredients.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 6:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yep, it is fine. In fact, they recommend gum with xiletol (sp) while you're pregnant or nursing.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 6:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If you are worried about ingredients, I recommend you check out ingredients for everything involving your baby, including any shots, medications and even their vitamins. I was quite surprised at what they put in things for children. I can't help you in the gum department because I'm not a gum chewer. But I do thank you for the info. Although I check ingredients and side effects of ingredients I never thought to check for gum. My DD won't be chewing gum anymore.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I spoke with my doc and she said as long as I don't eat anything else with artificial sugars in it or diet sodas than it is perfectly fine because it's such a small amount and not to worry since I only have a few pieces a day. I started eating only a half piece at a time only when I need it. But I am still going to try a different kind of gum from a health store. As soon as this awful "all day sickness" goes away I am quitting gum for the rest of my pregnancy. Thanks for all the advice ladies.
    Amymama83

Comment by Amymama83 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2011