How can I make my 4 yr old daughter not to lie, or teacher a consequence when I catcher her liying?

My 4 yr old use to always tell me the truth about everything, even if it would mean her getting into trouble. But since she has new little friends in our neighborhood, she started liying to me. And I don't know what to do about teaching her that lying is not good. I have told her, that God doesn't like it, when we lie to the one's we love. Any suggestions?

neza1214

Asked by neza1214 at 3:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Children of this age do NOT lie in the same way that adults lie. They don't even really understand what you mean. They won't understand it until 7 or even 8 years old.

She is probably telling you things she wishes were true (I didn't break the vase, My imaginary friend spilled the milk) or things that are more interesting than the truth (a giant came and ate Jenny's dog, there was a huge whale in the bath with me and he told me all about life in the sky).

When she does, don't confront her with the "lie". Don't scold her for not telling the truth. She does NOT understand what you mean. Tell her "It is upsetting when you break something, isn't it? Go get the broom and help me clean up then you need to sit in timeout for throwing things in the house." or "Wow! What a great imagination you have! I hope Jenny's dog comes home soon."

She will slowly figure out that stories are nice but they are just stories.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Interesting question...going through the same thing w/ my daughter and it's so frustrating isn't it?
    nkleintank

Answer by nkleintank at 9:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• It depends on what she is lying about. If it is made up stories I would just say things like "wow that is some kind of story" & not consider it lying. If it is lying about what she has done, where she was etc. explain to her why you need to know the truth & how lying can hurt people. I wouldn't punish for lying yet, but just try to help her understand when & why you need to know what actually goes on.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It almost cute how they are able to act so innocent! But we have to do something too
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 14, 2008