First prenatal visit

I am going for my first visit on Tuesday the 16th. I will be 8 weeks along, according to my calculations. Will my husband and I be able to hear the heart beat this visit, and will they do an ultrasound?
This is our first and we are so excited. Looking forward to all of the firsts!

anerd05

Asked by anerd05 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• They might schedule you for an ultrasound during your first appointment. I didnt normally hear the heartbeat until then. Mostly they go over the do's and don'ts and get your due date, vitamins and blood work.

Answer by gemgem at 6:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yeah! I had my first ultrasound at 8wks, and we heard the heartbeat, and they gave us prints of the ultrasound too. It's so exciting isn't it?! Good luck, and congrats!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• During the first they normally confirm pregnancy, go over family history and send you for blood tests. No ultrasound or heartbeat yet.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If you aren't having a u/s at this appointment then you won't be able to hear the heartbeat until around 14 weeks. Mostly history and blood work. Congrats! :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• toddler girlCongrats!  I do think you can hear the heartbeat at that age.  Sorry about the pink, I just assume,beings I have nothing but girls. 

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i was told u couldnt hear the heartbeat till about 12 weeks but u can see it beating on the ultra sound
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• normaly you cannot hear the heartbeat till about 12-14 weeks..you prolly wont get an U/S unless they think somethings wrong. They will do just a primilary check up..Family history, blood work, confirm pregnancy and such. They might but probaly not..set u up for a U/S appointment. but then again it depends on your OBGYN. Congrats tho!!!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 8:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• It all depends. Sometimes you can not hear the heart beat that early, but at 8 weeks you should and if they can hear it your husband will definitely get to hear it. As for the ultra-sound it depends on if you Dr. has the machine in his practice. Some do, some don't. The ones who do check the baby on it a lot. The ones who don't send you out once or twice during your pregnancy unless there is a problem.
    Good Luck!
    http://www.bumpfashion.com
    bumpfashion

Answer by bumpfashion at 12:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2008