Does your toddler have an obsession with small toys like mine does?

My 2 1/2 year old son is always carrying something around. His favorite toys to carry around are usually pretty small and he has little pet names for all of them. He's very protective of them. It's like he needs to know where they are at all times, so he'll carry them around. If he drops or loses one he goes on the hunt until he finds them! Is this weird? My mom told me to be careful about letting him do this because it's obsessive behavior and that's not good. I was never really worried about it, we thought it was funny and cute. Now that she said that though I kind of am.

ours

Asked by ours at 6:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep. He's almost 6 now and still does it. It all started with a little Elmo on rollerblades. Then any little character. Now SuperHero Squad...
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 6:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Be careful what you decide to worry about or "diagnose"! Resistance (even subtle, even just feeling "bothered" by something) from parents is a key part of negative dynamics with kids! (i.e., what you focus on, you get more of)

I have a pair of 2 1/2 year old twin boys & one of them behaves in this way. It doesn't have to be an actual toy (it can be a stone, a walnut, or a shrink-wrapped pair of 2 AAA batteries that came for our second remote, that he appropriated. lol) He can get quite a collection going, and will take them with him places (in his carseat, then he'll decide whether or not to carry "my things" along when we get where we're going.)

He has a tiny plastic soldier (this was originally attached to a cheap toy parachute; it came in a goody bag from a birthday party my older daughter went to when she was 3) & he calls this guy "Ryan" (after a cable guy who came, lol); the batteries he calls "my brand new ones." lol
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Oh, I meant to add that some of his first/early favorites were these small wooden signs from the train set....a little stop sign & a small street light (or maybe it's a traffic light.) He seemed to take such delight in the stop sign (then he lost it for awhile....it was dropped between the seat & the side of the car, out of his carseat....and during that time he adopted the little light/signal and called it "my other stop sign.") He has a small shaker egg, and sometimes will carry around a small bunch of wooden Haba grapes or other small toy foods. Sometimes a train engine or a tiny car.

Lately, he hasn't been toting "things" too much. It seems to go in waves, and he will gather enough that it's hard to keep hold of everything if he also wants to accept a snack or take something else, lol.

I honestly do not think there's a problem. Your boy sounds precious. They know their task in childhood, & ideally we don't interfere!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Your son sounds JUST like mine with the small toys (or items). If we give my son fruit snacks, he'll eat all but one or two. Those ones he likes to keep until he thinks they're too "yucky" to carry around. Then he'll throw them away haha. Oh and he's been carrying a "baby popcorn" around for the past two weeks which is just the kernel. He will not let me have it and I have no idea where he stashes it when he doesn't have it haha.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my daughter loves her cuppy and her blanky but she calls her blanky night night and she watches toons.......
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 7:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2011