Was Abraham Lincoln faithful to the Constitution?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 6:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If the above info. is correct, then I guess he went around it, like the present admin. does...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Why do you ask? because of his suspension of habeas Corpus?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Such as? I will agree he has been put on a pedestal.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• http://www.lewrockwell.com/dilorenzo/dilorenzo138.html

"Saying that Lincoln abolished slavery and calling him the ‘Great Emancipator' are grossly inadequate mischaracterizations," writes the judge. "Lincoln was interested in promoting his political agenda of centralizing government power, and freeing the slaves was only a means of advancement of that end."

"Lincoln destroyed the union of the founding fathers. He replaced a voluntary association of states with a strong centralized government. The president and his party eagerly lifted the floodgates to the modern thuggish style of ruling that the U.S. government now employs"(emphasis added).  see link...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I didn't live then, nor did the people/person who wrote that. And history passed down is always skewed by the following generation. So I really don't have a comment. I'm just posting because I'm close to my next level :P
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I think he was a patriot for his times- I don't think we can look back and apply how we think today to what the country was like then and judge one way or another- I believe he was a great man that did great things-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Ole Abe is my Favorite President... As far as I am concern he did a pretty good job... Considering he's not God or even close.. But yeah I feel he is more honest then most.. Oh and hopeandglory53.. I think that is a pretty good reason to post. LOL
    angduse1

Answer by angduse1 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Not sure i would completely agree with the judge on that. I don't always agree with him on other issues either.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was listening to Andrew Napolitano who made some remarks about him that are no longer in the history books.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Something about Lincoln only wanted to collect taxes from tariffs which is why he went to war with the South, and that the only reason why he freed the slaves was to benefit one of the North's military operations. He then said, "Don't get me started on Lincoln, He was one the least faithful Presidents to the Constitution that America has had." I know our history has been re-written over time, and I'm sure I got the re-written version in school, but I hadn't heard about everything He actually did.
    -Eilish-

Comment by -Eilish- (original poster) at 7:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011