Can anyone simply explain The Episcopal Church's beliefs?

I grew up non-denominational, but my parents were not religious, and church was never a huge part of my upbringing. Much time and spiritual development has passed since I last attended service, and after some research, I seem to best fit with the Episcopalian denomination, but at the same token, the more I read, the more confused I become. Can anyone clearly explain what it means to be Episcopalian?

I've gathered that agreeing to disagree is sort of a hallmark concept. Do you find this to be true in your congregation?

TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• 1 - The phrase I heard about confession (to a priest) is "All may, some should, none need to". A general confession of sins is part of Eucharist. So, it is not considered a requirement - and not a "look down on those who don't", but something that some people find to help them in their Christian growth. It's not necessarily a very regular thing, but something on a more case by case basis in the life of a Episcopalian. Does that answer the question at all?

2 - I don't know the best answer. I know what individual Episcopalians believe, but as far as official church position I found this from the An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church: "Many Christians emphasize heaven as a state of completed and eternal relationship with God, rather than a "place." However, belief in heaven in terms of a place beyond known spatial limits is important in light of belief in the resurrection of the body. God is certainly not contained by any place
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 6:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• the guy across the street says he is a light Catholic.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 7:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• That's what my dh says about himself. .calls it 'catholic-lite'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• All I can say is the same thing...my friend calls herself a diet Catholic lol.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• lol!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have always heard Catholic-lite too! I even went to Episcopalian youth camp and that's what was said!

Here's the Episcopalian quick catechism:

Jesus Christ is fully human and fully God. He died and was resurrected from the dead.
    Jesus provides the way of eternal life for those who believe.
    God the Father, God the Son (Jesus Christ), and God the Holy Spirit, are one God, and are called the Holy Trinity, "Three and yet one"
    The Old and New Testaments of the Bible were written by people "under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit."
    The two great and necessary sacraments are Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist.
    Other sacramental rites are confirmation, ordination, marriage, reconciliation of a penitent, and unction.
    Belief in heaven, hell, and Jesus' return in glory.
    Emphasis on living out the Greatest Commandment to love God and neighbor
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Thank you KateDinVA!
    I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Sure, but I should warn you that while I went to Episcopalian youth camp, I am a practicing Southern Baptist ;-)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have to head off Answers, but message me anytime, or I will check back in here later. I would send you my email address, but you are Anonymous.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 1:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oh, ok. Well, if you don't know, thanks for giving it a shot :)

1.) I was under the impression that confession was not necessary, nor very common, and it seems that reconciliation of a penitent is confession.

2.) Do they believe in a literal heaven and hell, or more of an absence/closeness to God?

Thanks again!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2011