Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for friend going through nasty divorce.

I have a friend who is going through a nasty divorce in TN and we are trying to find out what steps she can take. After separating from SO for 2nd time in a year (due to his alcohol and drug use) he had said he stopped and didn't she ran into an old flame and the relationship rekindled itself. She hired a lawyer but he hasn't had SO served with the divorce paperwork and it's been nearly a month. SO has badgered information out of their 8 yr old whom he is emotionally abusive to. (Your mom s a slut type stuff) and SO has been stalking her and is now threatening to take custody of daughter and get her for adultery. WHat can so do get refund and get new attorney? She has other children one severely disabled so she is SAHM and he works so she's afraid he'll use that against her too. He doesn't have house though he stays with family and her home cannot be touched by him it's in a trust and paid for.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • First off lawyers take alot of time and service is up to the sheriff dept not the lawyer. I would call the sheriff dept and tell them whats going on. She CAN with hold visits until there is a court order in place if he is being emotionally abusive to the children and it sounds like he is. If he is an alcoholic and/or drug addict she can say thats why. Calling the police would be the first step though to see where that paperwork is. You sometimes have to hound them to get them to serve. She should stick it out with the lawyer though. You wont get a refund & court takes MONTHS sometimes years to get done in a bad divorce.

    Answer by gemgem at 6:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • How could he prove adultery other than hersay testimony of an 8 year old that i wouldn't think the judge would even consider.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Also i would file for full custody of the kids and tell the court of drug an alcohol abuse and also emotional abuse if the kids are old enough they can talk to the judge if they choose to tell them how they feel.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Alimony the wonderful thing. Its for mothers who get divorced and are used to a certain type of lifestyle. Like not having to work. Also alot of times the husbands end up paying for the others parties attorney fees and stuff like that. She needs to contact a clerks office and they will give her names of family attorneys.

    Answer by Reggie2 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • She has an attorney but it's been 3 weeks and her SO hasn't been served. He has been snooping around her house and her mom's and badgering the 8 year old for any info he can and telling wife she won't get her back (he has her for a visit) if she trys to involve the police in him stalking her. I post anonymously cause he may have family on her and they would use it against her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2008