What exams should they do to make sure its not just one hernia?

I went to the dr's and he said I have one hernia but all he did was touch my belly button shouldnt he have given me an ultrasound or somthing to make sure its not just one. because when i get into situp position a ball comes up in the middle of my stomach and it hurts on the sides too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Health

• I had a hernia like that and sounds like what hes doing is right. Once he gets in and starts surgery he will see if theres more to it. I never had an ultrasound. Do be prepared for the surgery though it was very painful. You wont be able to do much after and you will hurt alot. I think the first two days were the worst and after that it got a bit better after that. Just make sure you have plenty of help with you the first couple days.

Answer by gemgem at 6:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• A CT scan. They will make you drink barium, quite nasty stuff, and then do a CT scan. If I were you I would insist on this. Also I had a CT scan, it showed that I had one hernia. When I went in for my surgery I ended up having 3 hernias and a torn abdominal muscle. Which complicated things a bit more, and recovery time was a lot longer. Make sure you go to a good general surgeon. They tend to rush things. And don't explain the whole process to you. Email me if you want more info on it.
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I thought I had a hernia because if I strained,stretched, coughed, lifted my legs up, sneezed too hard, I felt something pop out near my c-section scar site. I would have to lay flat and it would pop back in place, feeling almost like a baby was kicking. Surprisngly, after a CT scan there was nothing. The doctor said it was from adhesions related to the c-sections I have had.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2008