Have you ever gotten dry socket?

A lady at work just had a molar pulled and now she has dry socket ~ OUCH!

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Health

• DH has and he said its very painful. He had to go back to the dentist to get it packed.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• FIL gets dry socket every time he has a tooth pulled. He does not smoke and does everything they tell him too. Ouch indeed.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i was very lucky.. the one and only time i had a tooth pulled (rotting wisdom tooth actually) i did not get a dry socket. and i smoked cigarettes at the time and everything. very stupid i know but i guess i was lucky because i heard they are VERY painful.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had a tooth pulled by a Dentist who should have sent me to a Surgeon. I got a dry socket, and it was VERY PAINFUL. I didn't smoke so not sure what your talking about there. He gave me percaset(sp) and I was in so much pain I was taking double and that made me throw up. First week I couldn't open my mouth and he thought I had lock jaw starting, then he had to pack the damn thing for 3 weeks. Needless to say I took all my records and went to a new Dentist, I told him I was leaving before he had a chance to kill me. On top of all that, I had to drag my 2 yr old with me to every appt. bec my S/O was in the Marines and I never had a babysitter.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Is she a smoker or an avid straw drinker? They now put this stuff in the holes that is supposed to really help it not "get dry" and help the blood clot right.

If she is not a smoker, than they could have just done a bad job. ALWAYS go to an oral surgeon for an extraction. Some dentists will do it, but not as well as an oral surgeon will. I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out over 3 years. They always packed it right away with that weird solution that helps it clot faster, better & keeps the clot from coming out.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• they are the worst! i got them after having my wisdom teeth pulled when i was 16. the dr wanted me to stuff this syringe thing into the dry socket and clean it out with water then stick another one in there that had medicine in it and squirt the medicine in. needless to say i didn't do that, it was an extremely painfull process and i'd rather suffer thru the pain of just having the dry socket.
    abannist

Answer by abannist at 8:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes and it was some of the worst pain I have ever had. Dont want to do that again.
    syida

Answer by syida at 11:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011