Hiking for a b-day party, what do you think?

DS wanted to have his birthday party at home this year but our back yard is being done and we really don't have the room. A friend has offered to host the party at her house and we've done this in the past but I don't like to impose.
He's really into bugs and I suggested to him that we go on a hike. He can bring some friends with him and we will pack a picnic to eat on our travells and have brownies rather than cake. I was thinking of asking the parent's to drop off at our house (there's a trail near here) and pick them up at the end. Do you think that's unreasonable? I was thinking of doing a trial run with my kids just to see how long it would take.
I was also thinking of giving the kids bug catchers as their loot bags and they can collect on our journey.
DS seems to really like this idea.
My son is turning 7.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 7:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think that sounds like a good idea. Don't forget to make bug food, like ants on a log, dirt pudding with gummy worms in it, "bug juice."
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• That sounds like such a great idea.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• That sounds awesome! This year, for my son's 6th birthday, we went camping.

The one thing I would suggest to you, is to make sure you have at least one other adult, and get medical releases for the kids. KWIM? Things like insect stings/bites can cause sudden severe reactions, even if the child ha never had one before.

I think it is a brilliant idea! Have an explorer hike. I know I'd be thrilled if mine were invited to one!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• bug repellent :)
    austinpierce

Answer by austinpierce at 7:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• We are doing something similar for my son's 7th birthday. He wants to go geocaching so we are doing a hike nearby that has a geocache along the way.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Sounds fun but I hope you are going to have more than just yourself to there to facilitate things. I'd want at least 2 other adults present.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• There will be myself and my husband and I was thinking of asking my bil to join us. Some of the kids parent's often stay for parties, wonder if they'll stay for a hike? hmmmmm
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Sounds good, and you are a brave mama.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It sounds like they might enjoy it. We would have to pass on that invite, but we're inside people.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• good idea
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011