Sleeping after meal

Dh has been having an issue for years, the Drs have run some tests, a few glucose tests and some other blood work. The issue is he gets DRAINED after we eat. So tired that he just crashes for about an hour. It happens most with dinner, sometimes with lunch but rarely with breakfast. It happens with all types of meals, even ones with no starch or sugar(that I know of). Like tonight, we had marinated london broil, green beans and home made mac n cheese. He didn't eat the mac and cheese. After dinner he laid on the couch and fell asleep. His grandfather was a diabetic, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. He has kept track of his blood sugar from time to time over the years and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

We did notice that meals heavy in fat seem to help. Keilbasa with potatoes actually pumps him up. We did notice too, that Pizza Hut deep dish generally has no effect, but Breadux(has sugar in the crust, and is dry, not greasy) sends him to sleep.

Any ideas?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 7:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Allergies?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It does sound like glucose...however it could be an allergy like tootoobusy stated. I would right down everything he eats and document the reaction for 2-3wks then see the common factor in all the foods he reacted negatively too. Then take that info back to a doctor and get several Specialist's opinions if you can. Maybe this will help pinpoint what it could be...

My Blog:www.FamilyCEOMom.blogspot.com
    Kaye924

Answer by Kaye924 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• His glycemic load is WAY too high! Starchs like potatoes, breads, pasta etc. make your blood sugar SPIKE and then drop, worse than sugar. Check out this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Glycemic-Load-Diet-powerful-reversing-resistance/dp/0071462694
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 2:13 AM on Jun. 25, 2011