Is it normal to have a slight cough after surgery?

I had abdominal surgery yesterday and i've developed a slight cough. is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Health

• http://surgery.about.com/od/aftersurgery/a/Recovering.htm
    It says something about encouraging coughing and deep breathing after surgery to expand the lungs.....you'll have to read on though
    I hope you feel better real soon!!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If you had a tube down your throat to help you breath than yes. Also,you don't breath as deep during surgery and could cause some fluid to collect. However, if it gets worse you need to call your doctor.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had a sore throat after surgery from the tube down the throat...don't remember if I had a cough, but I guess that would make sense too!
    kshorty

Answer by kshorty at 8:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If you had general anesthesia with endotracheal intubation (breathing tube), then yes, it is normal.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yes, just keep coughing so it doesn't develop into pnemonia.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have always had a slight cough after surgery. Just try and cough the best you can cause it is good for you. I hope you feel better soon.
    syida

Answer by syida at 11:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I was given this breathing excercise thing even when I had my 2 c-sections. I can't recall the reason, but yes, it can affect your lungs.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011