I am so sad and upset. I have to have my cat "put down"

My sweet little cat Xena is 2 years old. She is the cutest, softest and sweetest little girl in the world. She is spayed and declawed and will jump up onto anyones lap and lay down. I love her so much. Our other cat loves her, my kids love her.

But there is a big problem. She pees on EVERYTHING if she doesn't get her way. She always wants to go outside. I will let her run around for awhile and let her in when she meows. She will immediately pee on my shoes or anything else she can find. I have tried urinatry tract infection meds, changing litter, rearranging rugs and changing food.

She did this all last spring and summer when we brought home our new baby. Lily (our dd) is now 16 months old. I cannot live in a house where I have to clean up cat pee at least once a day. I am so upset because we are unable to find another living situation for her. I feel like it is my fault that she has to be killed (or "put to sleep" if you want to deny that you're killing the animal) because I had her declawed.

Any kind words to help me through this difficult time. As I am typing this she is curled up on my lap licking my arm and nuzzling me. She is so sweet and I can't even look at her because I know I am going to have her killed soon. Thanks.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 8:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pets

• I wouldn't put her on Craigslist. I would take her to a no kill shelter. They do not kill animals there and they will find her a GOOD home. They don't adopt animals out without prescreening. Also they make you sign a contract that states if the animal is not working out, it MUST be returned to the shelter. That way it is not killed or given to a bad home.

A no kill shelter is the best option for this cat. She will find a home with someone who will take care of her and you don't have to worry about abuse. Their fees to adopt are high and you can look at the application to adopt... Most are extensive.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Has the vet seen her? I hate to see her put to sleep. There might be a medical reason for it?
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Has she gone to the vet? I've heard of this before and the cat was placed on medicine daily for the rest of his life. Instead of putting her down, take her to a no kill shelter. They are everywhere here. They will find someone who will deal with her problem so she can continue to live.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had her bought in and they checked her for UTI. We tried the meds "just incase" and they just made her pee on more things (because she hated taking them, she would pee on something immediately after having one).
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Take her to the vet , ? Rather than put her down , The vet might find a way to stop it ,
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• The cat I was talking about didn't have a UTI. It was another urinary disease... I don't remember what it was called. But he took a pill daily and it stopped. I wouldn't put her down over this. I would take her to a no kill shelter if you can't afford the extensive testing for the issue.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 8:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• And I am worried that if someone else adopts her and has peeing problems they will let her go in the wild (which I have considered, but she has no claws and I envision her dying slowly and alone on the side of the road or due to infection from a fight). I have tried to weight the pros and cons of 'terrible, slow death- but longer life free" or "quick painless death at the hands of the ones who love her"

I am so sad. I will bring her into the vet one more time for a second opinion. I was thinking about posting her on craigs list, but I am afraid that she will get abused if she pees on something.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 8:36 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Hugs, sorry to hear. I can tell you from experience that it is a big relief after it is done. Before putting down an animal it is very difficult. The good thing is they don't suffer and you can be at peace with it. The only thing that I would check, if I was you, is if they could be a farm cat being declawed. I had declawed cats and had to move, couldn't take them with and one went to a farm. It could be another option. Good Luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Kind words hell! You don't deserve "kind words". You are going to MURDER your "beloved" (yeah, right) cat because she is jealous of your kid. Yes, she is JEALOUS! Find her a new home instead of murdering her.

Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you already have had her claws cruelly ripped out.

Go ahead and vote me down. Irresponsible people that murder their pets because they don't want to clean up after (which is what it boils down to) and they just "love them so much they don't want to give them up for adoption because they might be abused" (what utter fucking bullshit) MAKE ME SICK!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• do you live near wisconsin? I would love to re-home her!!!!!

I have an ad on craigs list and have been posting on my face book to try to find a good home for her. I am going to call the animal shelter to see if they will take her too. The idea of having her put down makes me sick and I cannot stop crying.

Thanks for the judgement though. It really helps.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011