If you bring more than 1 kid to the grocery store with you, do they behave for the entire trip?

I had to do a fairly big shop, my kids are 6 and 4, I wasn't pleased with their behavior. In all fairness, I know they were cooped up all day with this rain, but oy.... now I know why I usually only take one or leave them both with DH. How do your kids behave at the store?

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 8:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• They go with sometimes and stay home sometimes. DH is worse than the kids.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• They behave on fear of death. Well, not really. But they do know they'll be in deep trouble if they act up. My kids are older though - 7 and nearly 10.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• mine dont ever!
    Creasman

Answer by Creasman at 8:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Lol... Good question.
    When they were younger omg yes I could never shop comfortably but now they are a bit older a little calmer but once in awhile they'll argue WHO is going to push the cart or get mad bc the other ran over the back of their heels..lol or they'll punch one another for not letting them have their way...lol it's going to be a whole new level so be prepared...lol But I sometimes leave them with their dad (smarter choice) but sometimes I do not have a choice :/
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My kids have awful behavior. It doesn't matter where they are. I try to leave them home and have DH watch them when I grocery shop. This week DH is working out of state, through the weekend and through next week. I'm thinking of getting a sitter. My kids are 7, 7 and 14. My oldest is autistic and can't watch her brothers for very long.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Most of the time they are good. We have had to work on it for several years, but now i can take all 5 kids if i need to. My 3 year old is the hardest, because he gets inpatient. what helps with him is to line out the steps, and gave somehing good at the end of the trip. for example, "we are going to get milk, then we are going to get pasta, and a few more things. When we get home we are going to have juice and crackers."
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 8:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I try not to take them.....If I have to I hope for the best and expect the worst! They usually act great in public, its just the grocery store that is a problem...? Its just the toddlers, my 9yo is not that bad. They just get this me,me,me attitude and want and want to touch everything!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 8:57 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• No. It is very hard to take my DS to the store even for a short trip!! In mine/his defense he has a mild form of Autism. He seems pretty 'normal' except for the screaming when he is 'done' I mean all out screaming, crying, running...needless to day I do not take him often but he has GOT to learn to adapt!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• oh my now im kinda scared of havin this second one... i didnt think about stuff like that...
    luvmy2kids91

Answer by luvmy2kids91 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My kids are 7 and 4. They KNOW that if they act up we leave. I've been doing it since they were born, and they KNOW they can't act up. I refuse to inflict my child(ren)'s bad behavior on anyone else.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2011