What do you think people need to stop doing to have money on the bank?

My dh just loves to spend he's worse than a woman his sister omg she is worse she has to have EVERYTHING name brand my dh tries to do the same for me and I tell him I am not like that he should be glad I am not a spender I mean I have what I have bc sometimes I go for it but I don't really need it in that way.
I just want us to have a cushion to fall back on. Instead of living check to check like some people :/
Some people can't spend bc they don't earn enough other don't spend bc they don't know how to say no to stuff and have to have it.
Thanks Ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• Quit spending and save.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• well you can try to eat out less, compare prices at stores when you are going to buy an item you need.
    claryvelS

Answer by claryvelS at 9:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Not pay their bills?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• * eating out
    * go back to the basic cell phone plan
    * get rid of cable
    * get rid of internet
    * set up a budget
    .. etc
    mamanature

Answer by mamanature at 9:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I guess I should say to quit buying new clothes, furniture, knick knacks, and things you just do not need. Stop eating out. Save the money you would have spent on frivilous spending.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Quit any unnecessary spending & wasting money, especially for cigarettes, beer, junk food, an unnecessary cell phone, name brand clothes, shoes etc. Scale back on groceries, cable or satellite & anything else you can't really afford. If you have you kids in daycare with a two income family where one is only making minimum wage or a little above, you'd save more in the long run staying home & raising your own kids instead of earning just enough to pay for daycare, gas for the extra running etc. that comes with having a job.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Open a savings account that is totally seperate from your checking. Even better if it's different banks. Then auto transfer a set amount every payday. Out of sight, out of mind. We never had a savings. I might have transferred money to savings but we always just took it right back out. Then i opened an ING savings and had $50 transfered every payday. The only way to get to that money was to do an online transfer and it takes about 3 days. It was the first time we ever had money in savings, and still use it. Although now that we are use to having a savings, its easier to not touch it and i just transfer a hundred here, a couple hundred there. whatever i can.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Oh, and we stopped buying on credit. No credit cards, no store cards, nothing. Less monthly payments = more cash in your pocket!
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You need to live below your means to be able to save. Make sure you have an emergency fund which is 6-8 months of living expenses. You can save a few dollars here and there and put it in a savings account in your name. I have friends who were very well off because they saved a few dollars a week and put it in the bank. They retired early and have a great life.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Understand the difference between necessity (food, utilities, rent/mortgage) and luxuries (internet, cable, eating out, etc.)

So many people don't and then they spend all their time wondering why they don't have money.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011