8 days old and not pooping

My 8 day old daughter has not pooped in about 12-15 hours and I know that is ok however what worries me is that when she is trying to go she is crying. I can feel the gas in her belly but she doesnt poop. Any advice?

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• rub her belly and when she try to poop try heping her by holdng her knees to her tummy this will help it come out.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 9:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i ment to say rub her back.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 9:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Is she breastfed or formula fed?

If she's breastfed, it's normal to go days, sometimes weeks without pooping. My son went like 10 days without pooping one time, and I have other breastfeeding moms who have said their babies have gone over two weeks. It's completely normal for breastfeeding babies.

As for formula fed babies, I've hear pushing their knees to their stomach over and over again helps.
    mamanature

Answer by mamanature at 9:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• She is formula fed.
    annabelle092810

Comment by annabelle092810 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• ive heard that if you take thier legs and start moveing them up and dwn to thier chest then all the way back dwn this will help them stimulate thse mucles and they will pooop..also if your worried you can call your doc and they will give u advice
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Try putting a heating pad(on LOW) or a warm towel, lay her on her back and rub her belly (gently) in circles. Formula will cause constipation sometimes. Breast milk is best and doesnt. Call the doctor and see if you can give her milicon drops.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I just bought Little Tummy's Gripe Water a few days ago from Walmart and like it a lot better than the milicon gas drops to be honest. I put the right amount in a bottle and feed it to her if she's having gas pains after a feeding or before bed. It seriously works within minutes, it's a life saver. I hate seeing my baby girl in pain
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Infant massage for her tummy- www.lovingtouch.com has information about infant massage etc. Our PAT educator brought us a lot of info & instructions after DD2 was born- having her tummy massaged always makes her happy :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 10:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• People need to stop tauting Gripe Water. It has been proven to do nothing. Call your pediatrician and ask him or her what to do.
    Anonymous

• Our pedi recommended gripe water
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2011