Broken clavicle???

My 8 year old fell on her shoulder today and broke her clavicle. Anyone else's kid break it and if so how long did it take to heal? How long were they in the sling or have to take pain meds? She was miserable today and I wish there was more I could do. She's been to the doctors and now it's just a waiting game.

AntoinetteF

Asked by AntoinetteF at 9:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• for a young person about 5 or 6 weeks its 8 or 12 weeks for older people and people with complications (like diabetes or cancer)

on rare occasion they will surgically repair it...the reason they dontusually or routinely is difficult to explain
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 3:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My brother broke his when he fell while fighthing with my uncle. He had to sleep in a recliner for a couple of weeks. It helped him sleep more comfortably. Only have her take the pain pills IF she needs them. If you have a recliner, have her sleep in it. I hope she feels better really soon.

I had a friend who broke his playing tennis!! He went to hit a ball and leaned too far over and fell and broke it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• My husband broke his is a motorcycle accident..he was in a figure 8 sling for almost 8 weeks..still bugs him from time to time. Just make sure your little guy TAKES IT EASY!!! THEY need to heal properly or there will be issues later on. there are docs that will surgically repair it...maybe b/c of his age they wouldn't want to??
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011