If you are not telling your kids about santa, are you gonna at least tell them not to spoil it for other kids?

So I'm really not trying to be rude here, but this has been bugging me. With all these Moms saying that they arent gonna tell their kids about Santa, are you also going to make sure to tell them not to ruin it for other children? I know I'm gonna be really ticked if some kid tells my kid santa isnt real in kindergarten or that I'm "lying" to them. I mean, to each their own, but I dont want it spoiling the fun for my kids!

and YES I know kids usually find out from their friends but generally not til later on, Im worrried about her finding out to young :( I want her to enjoy christmas and the anticipation of santa as long as she can!

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 7:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Holidays

• I will tell my kids that it is something some parents tell their children, and ask them not to say anything (a 1 and a 2 yr old here currently). It is not as though we can totally control our childrens mouths.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I wouldn't worry too much sweet pea. My 7 yr old dd came home from school and said "Amanda said there is no Santa." an I said "oh really" and DD said "Yeah, Santa's not going to be bringing HER any gifts this year!" It kind of takes care of its self! I think if your child truly enjoys that part of christmas they don't let it go easily. I remember arguing with kids about Santa. I used to SWEAR by those TV shows that showed "proof" of Santa.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• What happens when Amanda comes back from break talking about what gifts she got?
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Amanda will say her mama got them for. And I will say that's good that she didn't have to without. But by the time the 2 weeks are up kids (who have very short attention spans) have usually moved on. I don't remember that being an issue when I was a kid. I assumed kids who didn't get visited by Santa had REALLY nice parents who made up for it. Besides there are TONS of holes in this whole Santa thing. I think the fact that my kids (who are very bright, honor roll kids) overlook those wholes is because they enjoy the make believe of it as much as I do!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I grew up believing Santa was not real, I grew up Jewish. We were told very simply that that was something most kids believed in and that it was OK and part of what they thought and to just stay out of it... it's just respect and it's about teaching respect to your children
    JennBear54

Answer by JennBear54 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My kids do believe in Santa but my 3rd grader has already had this discussion in school. Some of the kids don't believe (because they figured it out already) so the teacher had like a little debate with them. Each side got to explain why they did or didn't believe in the jolly old elf. My dd, who is 8 1/2, came home and just said, "can you believe some of them don't believe in Santa?"
    Then again, I don't think she really believes any more and hasn't for a few years. She's too smart for that. My kindergartener believes 100%. Me and the older 2 kids tease each other about him not being real but I've already told them not to say stuff like that to their little sister because it upsets her since she really thinks he is real.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I homeschool so my kids are locked in a closet and don't get to "socialize" with anyone outside them home. No need for worry!

Seriously, my kids know santa isn't real, but they still pretend and use their imagination and I won't discourage that. As long as they understand that it's pretend, I don't care what they do! They know their Hulk toys aren't real but they still pretend they are when they play with them, same thing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• ReneeK3 you are hilarious!! Well its good to read these answers very reassuring!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My dd daughter is 2 years old,
    She doesnt care where the gifts come from,
    she is indeed already spoild so i know ...she already thinks we got them for her anyway
    if she wants to beleive in santa, then so be it,

I think when kids stop beleiving they get greedy,
    My sisters kids are greedy,
    but their old enough not to beleive in santa,

I never beleived in santa,
    and no my mother didnt take and and scold me and say HE ISNT REAL,
    its just common sense ;o)
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 12:13 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• MY kids already know santa isn't real the fat jerk doesn't by them nothing and isn't going to take credit for my hard earned cash!!! why would santa need lay-away hahahaha
    Anonymous