Horrible back pressure/sharp pain/38 1/2 weeks

I'm 38 1/2 weeks, for the past couple of days I've been having horrible back pressure and sharp pains, and lotssss of pelvic pressure. Yesterday I got checked and I was 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. Does this sound normal? When do I need to go to the hospital?  Pain goes away when I lay down and when I go to sleep it's not keeping me awake... Is this labor or just normal pains?

jessiskinner200

Asked by jessiskinner200 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Call your OB. It sounds as though you are in labor. Find out what their policy is. Good luck to you!

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Sounds like you could definitely be in labor. Good luck!
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 9:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Have they told you if the baby is still in the face down position? I had "back labor" when I was in labor with my daughter. Back labor is common when the baby is face up because for some reason more of the pressure gets put on your back in that situation. I would call your doc....you may be dilated more than 2cm now!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Yep def sounds like your in labor. Call the Labor and Delivery Dept at the hospital that you are going to and ask to speak with the OB dr on call, or if you can call your dr directly. Do you have to breath through the contractions, like they are unbearable?? If you cant talk through them while having one, then you def need to go in and get checked out....Congrats by the way and Good Luck with your new bundle of Joy !!!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• sounds normal i had all of that for a full week before i was ever in full blown labor so they just kept sending me home so i stsyed home til i was 7cm a full 7 days later
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 10:01 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I can still talk through the contractions but they do definitely hurt so bad. I'm going to wait until they hurt till the point that I can't sleep.
    jessiskinner200

Comment by jessiskinner200 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011