Membranes Swept- Now we wait. Have YOU had it done?

My dear friend will be 42 weeks tomorrow. I am a newly practicing doula and she is only my third client ever and so far the only one to make it past 40 weeks. Well, the midwife practice here that she attends will have to transfer her to OB care if she does not begin labor tomorrow so today they stripped her membranes. It's been about 4 1/2 hours- she's had some bleeding, loss of her plug and some contractions- both painful and mild coming between 6-10 minutes apart since the stripping has been done.
We are absolutely hoping and praying to avoid induction because she REALLY wants this birthing center birth. She is unwilling to change practices, however, the midwifery practice she is attending has their hands tied when it comes to going past 42 weeks.
I am hoping to hear some positive stories to share with her as we cautiously wait and see if this membrane stripping will work or not. We are in contact with the midwife who said she might come back this evening before she heads to bed to attempt a more thorough stripping.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I went into labor less than 48 hours after being stripped. Tell her to have sex and walk. It really does help.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I had my membranes stripped at about 2 PM on a Friday, felt contractions afterwards and by 8:30PM,I was at the hospital and at 9:25PM I had my baby girl---with no Epidural, natural. It worked,obviously !
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• it took 48 hours for me, tell her to have sex, walk, eat pineapple and spicy foods
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 9:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• i also had this done with my last pregnancy and it worked like a charm , i did some walking and running up and down some stairs a few times and then we went to walmart to walk some more at about 830 pm we headed to the hospital and was staying and we had baby about 2 that next morning. o yeah there was sex involved also , that works too ;)
    1momof6

Answer by 1momof6 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• A lot could happen in the next 8 days...

:-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well, she is being transferred to OB care at 5pm today. No birth center birth for her :( I feel like we have walked until our legs were ready to fall off. She's so disappointed. I really don't know what to say. I've never had this happen to anyone I know.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011