What is the deal with children's clothing sizes?

My son is 5 months old. Some of his clothes are 6-9 months and fit fine, some are too big. Some of his 3 month clothing still fits and some of them were too small when he was born. Why can't they just set a standard and stick to it? It makes it really hard to shop for clothes.

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• Every child is different. There are some kids who fit perfectly into the clothes that are meant for their age. My daughter is 16 months and is coming out of a 2T right now and working her way into a 3T. She is very tall.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think all clothing is made like that. Have you ever tried to buy the same size jeans in different stores? YIKES! When I was buying kids' clothes, I always bought big anyway, so we could get more wear of them. (I don't know who they use as models.)! LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Thats why i FRIGGING HATE to buy baby cloth in the USA. not only baby cloth, everything.. the sizes are a mess. you never know what it is..

Here in germany the baby / kids cloth have a standard. they messure it by "cm". so a newborn usually is between 47-52 cm's long/tall... maybe a little taller..
    the newborn sice for baby cloth is: 52 (cm).. fits perfect for all the newborns.. then it goes up 52/56; 62/68; and so on.. very easy.. so i think they should do that in the states too... every clothing company should use the same sizes... a little difference is normal.. but in the states i bought my daughter at 8months some cloth (different stores & different brands) for kids at 24 months and they fit.. seriously.. how could you possibly order cloth there or buy them without trying them on... annoying. i really dont like that :(
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i think it depends on where you shop and the quality of clothing you buy. if you shop at walmarts or somewhere equally as cheap, you get what you pay for, the product is inferior,and they use substandard materials. when you buy more expensive clothes, they are cut more generous and use a better quality material that wont shrink and twist, making the clothes last longer. i personally have never had a problem with sizes.
    catngabsmom

Answer by catngabsmom at 7:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• lol. they shouldn't do it by month, they really should do it by weight or height.. my daughter is 11months and she is in 18months. my nephew is the same age and he is mostly in 24 months. It's insane how they size things.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• No sizes are standard no matter what the age or size. You figure out how the sizes run in each brand and go with it...just like you do for all clothes; probably including your own.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i kno! it drives me nuts. my daughters 15 months and still fits into some 0-3 clothes! its so annoying i also got a 24 months shirt that was TOO SMALL. lol its so irritating.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i work at a childrens clothing store and hear questions like this all the time. i still havent found an answer, all clothing companies are different, and the only advice i have it to try it on, but nobody wants to fight a child in and out of clothes all the time!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• catangabs mom, Some of the clothes I buy at Wal-mart are the ones that last the longest. I've never had any problems with quality. The issue is about sizes. I tend not to buy a lot of expensive clothes because the baby wont wear them long. I think it's ridiculous to spend very much on baby clothes.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I agree with you, Rebecca. No point in buying expensive baby clothes just to have them worn only a handful of times. All brands vary in sizing. You really have to start eyeballing each piece. A friend recently gave us some of his daughter's outgrown clothes, and there was a onesie that claimed to be size 6-9 month... so tiny I put it in my drawer with newborn/ 0-3 month clothes for baby.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2008