Cat Nip tea for baby?

this is something my granny swears by. She had 7 kids and used it with all of them for gas and belly aches. She said for me to try it on my son and it will help and it's herbal but just to use like a teaspoon full. Anyone ever heard of this stuff?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO...Cat Nip = Crazy Cat. I've never heard of Cat Nip tea for babies but i would imagine it would make them hyper active. I'm probably wrong in that thought. But after drinking that tea (which would probably have caffeine I might add) in my minds eye I picture a baby chasing a string...lmao!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 7:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• LOL! Its an old wives tale. I definately would not do it. Cat nip is actually a drug. Can make you hallucinate and all sorts of crazy stuff. I wouldnt try it. Gerber sells infant tummy ache drops. I would venture to guess those are safer! :)
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 7:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Actually it's very good for colic and reducing an infant's fever, but you should consult an herbalist or practitioner first.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• lol happy2beme you were WAAAY off!

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_catnip.htm
    Anonymous

• I'd be scared to use anything herbal before speaking to your baby's doctor first.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I heard from a pediatrician and a midwife that catnip tea for an infant can help easy tummy problems as well as help with reflux.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 9:26 PM on Dec. 13, 2008