baby will not sleep

my baby is only six day old and i have trouble getting him to stay a sleep.i now he has to eat every 3 hour and i do feed him.i give him 3 oz. at 10 pm to get him to sleep.during the day he eat 2oz.also at night he snack alot only drinking 1 oz. can someone help.

wessica

Asked by wessica at 4:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Sleeps like a baby" is a load of ****. This is one of the dirty, little secrets of parenthood.

He's only 6 days old. Right now, he is probably sleeping for a couple of hours, MAX, then eating, staying awake for a short while, and then sleeping again. He's probably doing this around the clock. Which means you aren't sleeping either. This is normal.

If you are lucky (very lucky) he will start to sleep for 5 hours or more at a time by 2 months. This is the official definition of "sleeping through the night".
    He will probably sleep 8 hours at a time starting around 7 months. Sleeping from bedtime until morning usually happens after 1 year.

For ideas on when he will start taking regular naps, when his night sleep will become more organized, and how much sleep he actually needs, check out:
    http://www.familysleep.com/newborn-to-2-months.html
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Sleeping through the night is a huge common misconception and actually the babies that do it are in the minority.
    Anonymous

• 6 days old! goodness, well min e is six weeks old and he is only now starting to use a schrdule. just breath your baby loves yo for caring for him. the first few days are always the hardest. what can help is sleepin when he sleeps, and try not to get stressed out when its time to get up because baby feels the tension.
    myboys8508

Answer by myboys8508 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I read this book Baby Wise and my daughter by 6 weeks old was sleeping through the night.
    ZetaMommy

Answer by ZetaMommy at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Hang in there it will only get easer. If you are breast feeding have your husband lie him down,they can smell the milk on you. or if you feel secure enough try napping with him. What ever you do just hang in there and love him your mom you'll figure it out.
    momontherun32

Answer by momontherun32 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I had this problem with my son when he was about that age. I asked the doctor and he told me not to feed him every time he cries to eat, unless it is time for him to eat. So if you hold off he will eat more and get a better eating pattern. Which will mean that his tummy is fuller when he goes to sleep. That advise helped me. I hope it will help you.
    econnis

Answer by econnis at 7:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I put mine on a schedule, she started going 4 hours through the night when she came home from hospital, then 6 at about 2 weeks, then 7-8hrs at 1month. and now she sleeps 10hours at 3months. It was hard at first, but just know that this too shall pass. Make sure you do the same routine before bedtime and try to play with your baby gently to keep him awake more during the day and make sure the scheduled naps are in the morning and then just let him cat nap whereever you are during the late afternoon.
    Now, I don't even have to rock her, she falls fast asleep, she knows her routine and she tells me what time it is! LOL

They get their nights and days confused at first, so make sure at night its very quiet and dark so he can learn "bedtime."

Hope that helps!! Good luck and don't stress out, this is your first week. Have the hubby or your mom watch the baby during the day and take a nap...that's what I did. If you don't you'll get stressed out...I d
    Anonymous

• why does everyone assume that she has someone there to help? i sure don't my baby refuses to sleep and she's a month old, i've tried routines, swaddling, walks, a rocker, a vibrating chair... she doesn't have gas and even when she's not hungry any more or wet she won't sleep. it will get better but she only sleep 3-4 horus at night after staying awake for 5-6 hours straight and that's if i'm lucky. there is no such thing as sleep for me, try to sleep when your baby sleeps and sorry to say but you can't really expect someone to help you every day. my bf won't even watch the baby for an hour for me to eat and take a shower let alone watch her for a few hours so i can rest. you'll make it tho, you can go 7 days with no real sleep. just nap when you can, even for 30 minutes. good luck
    MidniteMochaMom

Answer by MidniteMochaMom at 9:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Does he fall asleep while he's snacking at night? My son would do that so I would just put him back in bed. Then a few hours awake again. The key is to keep them awake so they finish the bottle at night. Otherwise he will just keep waking up hungry.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 9:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Try giving the baby a bath and a message and then feeing the baby 1 to 2 oz of cereal with a bottle that might help him sleep but make sure you use formula to mix the cereal!
    krzymommyroo

Answer by krzymommyroo at 10:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2008