At what point of dilation does a doctor have to admit you? adult content

My 40 week doctor's appointment is tomorrow. (baby and me have been very healthy, no problems) I was dilated to between 3-4cm at last week's visit, and 70% effaced. There has been a lot of activity this week (contractions, pain down there, and mucus plug nastiness - sorry if TMI) and I'm wondering if that's a sign of further dilation. I'm not sure if I need to bring my bags with me to my Doctor's visit tomorrow - I'm told that if I'm 5cm or more that they have to admit me? Does anyone know what the guidelines are for that sort of thing? At what point of dilation does a doctor have to admit you?

Thank you!

MariposaKsr

Asked by MariposaKsr at 10:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• hm im not sure that they HAVE to by a certain standard or if it is the hospitals standards. i know that i was told to walk walk walk and come back in two hours to see if made any prograss, at which point i jumped from a 3 to a 5{6ish?} and they admited me. i would take my bag with me if i were you, it never hurts to be on the safe side, and if things ahve gotten further along for you congrates!!!!
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• With my second son I went to my weekly doctor's apt. and I was 6 cm dialated and he said that I was going to the hospital to have a baby. I was allowed to go home and get my suitcase before going to the hospital. With my third son I was 5 cm dialted. Good luck.
    slick05

Answer by slick05 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• If you're not in labor they don't have to admit you at all.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:40 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• they typically don't admit you until your contractions are 3-5 minutes apart.. and/or your water breaks.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would say it depends on the person. I got admited at 2cm with my son, normally I would have been turned away I guess, but the contractions were coming hard and fast. 4 hours later my boy was born.

Where as I was in labout with my daughter for 45 hours, so being admited at 2cm would not have happened lol
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 11:21 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Take your bags...
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Take your bag. It won't do any harm sitting in your car/trunk and at least if you aren't admitted then you know it's ready when you are.

I was admitted at 3 cm with my 1st because my contractions were 3 minutes apart and I was leaking fluids.
    I was 8 cm with my 2nd and they thanked me for showing up. (She was born 2.5 hrs later.)
    I was 4 cm with my 3rd and he was born about 2.5 hours later, bruised from head to toe from barreling out so quickly. So it varies.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What kind of birth experience do you want?

No reason to get admitted if you aren't in labor.
    You're currently normal and healthy, no reason to expect anything out of the ordinary.

Would you have your packed bag ready/in the car even if you had no appt tomorrow?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2011