Naming a new son in honor of a deceased son, what do you think?

My husband and I just had a baby on March 12, 2011 we didn't have his name until 2 days before my water broke. We finally came up with the name Kyran Beckett (pronounced like you start Kyle) He was born 10 weeks premature, but did really well and only spent 3 1/2 weeks in the special care nursery. However, 2 1/2 days after he came home he stopped breathing and passed away. We talked about having another baby, not to replace him but the reason that we wanted Kyran was so that are youngest would have a sibling close to his age. That reason is still there. So I believe that I am now pregnant, when we weren't even trying, if he is a boy I would like to name our new son to honor Kyran. I like the them Kyden, but my husband said that it is to close and that he doesn't want our new baby to feel like he is a replacement for Kyran. What do you think. I know a lot of parents who name all their children with similar names all the time.

slick05

Asked by slick05 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Baby Names

• I'm very sorry for your loss *hugs* you have to respect dh. He may not be able to handle it.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I agree with your husband.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I personally would give Kyrans name as a middle name but do a completely different name for the first name so that he does get his "own" name.

Sorry for your loss though :(
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 11:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I would use his first name as the new babies middle name. Sorry for your loss.

Ryans mom: Use Briley for a girl. My friends daughters name is Brileigh.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't do it, in fact, I agree with your husband.
    .MhacFoirfe.

Answer by .MhacFoirfe. at 12:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think you do have a fine line to walk here for your child to never feel like a 'replacement' but you are correct many parents give their children similar names. In the end it is up ti you and DH to decide what you want to do but giving then initials is an option as well, honoring while still giving the new child his own identity.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be too painful for me and you wouldn't want the new baby to feel like you were trying to replace the one you lost. But it is ultimately up to you and dh.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I'm sorry for your loss. I agree with your dh though.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree with your husband too
    .Saille.

Answer by .Saille. at 10:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my son Riley passed away at 3 1/2 months old from SIDS , I am expecting again and if it were a boy we were going to name him Briley after is brother. However, I am having a girl this time around.
    RyansMommy7507

Answer by RyansMommy7507 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2011