• In the Spotlight:

Should I sell my pet turtles so I can afford a few gifts for Christmas?

I know this question sounds stupid. Of course I love my husband and son more than the turtles, but I do still like my turtles. I have raised them from hatchlings for the last five years. They have a big nice cage and everything someone would need to care for them. I think I could get around $100 for the whole set up and 2 turtles. If I don't sell them I literally won't have any money to buy Christmas presents for my husband and 3 year old son. We have been affected pretty bad by this economic downfall and aren't planning on buying any gifts. I don't want to part with my turtles and would miss them, but the money would help out. Not having to worry about the future cost of caring for them would help too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pets

• shruggingSeriously?   I am sorry.  The title just struck me soo funny!  No, you shouldn't sell the turtles if your family loves them.  Decorate their little cage for Christmas and don't worry about gifts.

pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• If you can't afford to take care of them then yes. But not just for Christmas money. You will enjoy your turtles much longer than whatever you will buy most likely. Much people can't even remember what they got for Christmas last year.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 7:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Are gifts really THAT important to you guys? I told people not to get me anything and I don't expect anything frmo my husband either. Gifts are not what makes the holidays good for me. I wouldn't sell pets just to have material things but that's just my opinion I guess :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Sweetie they're just turtles. I wouldn't worry about the husband gift. He's old enough to understand money problems. But your son needs a little something under the tree. { HUGS }
    Anonymous

• I know it does sound funny! ...and weird too
    Anonymous

• Thats absolutely up to you..

im not a big pet-friend. but i do know how much you can love a pet. I know people who live their pet as much as their family, and thats totally ok. But you need to know if a gift that will end up in a corner in a few weeks is more important than the turtles you love. of course you could get some money and of course you will save a lot of money in the future. think about giving them to someone who would love them as much as you do but dont just sell them to someone for the money.

i bet your son loves those little (or big) turtles too. i think every kid does. gifts are not that important. important thing at christmas is to be with your family.

i wish you good luck and a merry christmas... i hope everything will get better for u and the family in the next year!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i think it would be easier for me to sell my husband. lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Could you give your child something homemade. Some cookies, maybe. There are inexpensive things at the dollar store- perhaps some simple little toys that don't cost much? If your family loves the turtles it seems a shame to get rid of them unless you can't afford to keep them. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 8:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Well, my first advice is to make sure they are even legal to own before you try to sell them. You would not believe how many folks end up with illegal turtles...the laws are very tricky. Even if you got them from a pet store, you may not have bought the turtle...you may have bought the cage/food/etc and been given the turtle. I don't know what type you have, so that's just general advice and may not affect you at all....good luck with whatever you choose.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• if they're tortises you can get WAY more than $100..but im not telling you sell them..i personally would Not sell my pets. i love my pets dearly..last christmas, my husband and i went crazy at the dollar store for our little girls. do you have family that can help you out ? thats the only way we were able to buy gifts for our kids last year.. i really Wouldn't sell them..ask your son how would he feel if you gave your turtles to another family.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2008