Men who grew up with abusive or neglectful mothers..

Have any of you known men who were abused or neglected by their mothers? Do you think there is any correlation between the abuse and them ending up being gay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• I think neglectful moms create emotionally distant sons.
    Anonymous

• Never heard of it. My SO was abused and neglected by his mom, not sexually. But he is straight. He cut off all ties with her years ago and he has very strange relationship ideas because of it.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• No - one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. My ex-boyfriend and his two younger brothers grew up with a bipolar schizophrenic mother, who wasn't on the right medication. She abused and neglected all three of her sons. The two younger ones ended up in a psychiatric center before the age of 10 when my ex told his mom he missed them she told him to go try to kill himself, when he was too scared to do it she brought him to the river and held his head under until he passed out and told the ER she found him trying to drown himself. He spent his entire childhood bouncing from foster home to foster home, rehab to rehab and finally - 7 1/2 years in a state prison. My ex is not only straight but he apparently loves women so much he has 5 kids with 3 women.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I do not think there is a correlation. Plenty of gay men have loving mothers. Plenty of men abused/neglected by their mothers are not gay.
    Anonymous

• could be a hatred for women, it's possible
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my husband grow up this way and it has been very hard on our marriage!!
    KiMmOrElAnD1983

Answer by KiMmOrElAnD1983 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Not between the abuse and being gay but a correlation between abusive childhoods and men being abusive themselves. Gay is something someone is born with not something they get from being abused and neglected.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Nope.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Gay - no, but violent or abusive, yes.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011