During really hot summer months, do you have favorite "cold" meals to serve your family?

apronIt's really getting heated up down here and my family just seem not interested in "hot" meals with temps in 90's-100's regularly.

I keep trying to think of things to make that are served cold: chicken salad, tuna salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, egg salad, sandwiches etc. I just can't think of that many serve/cold meals.

Cold desserts are pretty easy to come up with but entrees are trickier to please everyone.

What do you make when you do not want to heat up the kitchen and cook/serve a hot meal?

Does your family get the same way in the hottest of summer months?

Cold meal ideas? (maybe we'll all get a few new ideas)

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 10:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• My hubby works out in the heat so i have problems at times fixing supper. Normally when he gets in he is to hot to eat supper, soi let him snack on his fav treats(nothing sweet) or i have prepaired something like taco rings with ranch dip these are great cold. after a bit he is settled enough to eat a hot meal.
    ilove2garden

Answer by ilove2garden at 11:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• You can find hundreds of cold meal suggestions at the raw foods websites. You don't have to convert to being a raw foodist - just add some raw meals to your usual, and you'll be adding flavor and nutrients to your family's diet. For starters, visit: http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

A part of raw food "cooking" is in the presentation. A zucchini is a zucchini, you know? But if you have a spirilina slicer, you can cut the zucchini to look like spaghetti! Then you can serve a raw "spaghetti" dish, with a crisp, fresh taste!

One of my favorite raw meals is cucumber soup. You put 2 large cucumbers, 1 avacado, some lemon juice and dill in a blender and whir until smooth. It's yummy, and even my meat-and-potatoes husband will eat it.

Have fun!
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I dont have any cold recipes. We eat alot of salads, sandwiches, or cici's pizza for the granbabies.
    syida

Answer by syida at 11:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I just pick up a couple rotiesserie chickens at the grocery store- the first night we eat it with macaroni salad, or something along those lines, then we can make chicken sandwiches the next day, chicken pasta salad or chicken salad. I also use my george foreman alot. Where I live in Tx its so hot most of the time I don't even want to eat anything. I'd rather have an ICEE for dinner lol.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 11:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• my go to cold meal is mint chicken noodles. i cook the chicken in the morning while its still kinda cool outside & put it in the fridge. then closer to dinner i boil some noodles. then add 3 TB soy sauce, 3 TB lime juice, 1/2 tsp of garlic, 2 TB honey & fresh mint (to taste) to the noodles, add the cut up chicken and any raw veggies (we like edamame, shredded carrots, & shredded zucchini). its better served chilled than hot. you could even make it the night before.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I love making Gazpacho and having it with chilled peel and eat shimp! Yum!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• cole slaw, broccoli slaw, fresh stuffed peppers, lettuce wraps, bean salad, fruit, any meat you prefer over a green salad, melon wrapped in cold ham, smoked salmon with cheese and whole grain crackers, taco salad...
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 10:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2011