Spinoff: what would keep a family member from being able to stay in your house?

I asked if you would let an HIV positive family member stay in your home, most said yes. I wonder if there is something that would keep you from letting someone stay as your guest for a small visit. What would it have to be for you to say no?

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 11:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Prob anyone who was known of committing any sexual crimes.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Someone with a drug problem and the same as Princess's answer too.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 11:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I will have to go with Princess and MynTop and would like to add if they where known to steal
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• sex crimes, drug/drinking problems, abusive, anything that might put my kids in danger.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Well HIV would be a "no" for me, also any other incurable communicable disease... Otherwise, though, it would only be if it was a relative we didn't get along with at all, and we're pretty tolerant of the family even the weird ones, LOL. Have to look at like cousins and nieces/nephews to get anyone I don't like, and even then...
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 11:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• It depends on if my children were home - they sometimes go off during school vacations with my parents and/or in laws to Ireland and next week they're going there to visit family with their father for 3 weeks! I agree with the first two answers though there is no one in my family that has a history of sex crimes and none of them are drug addicts - I do have a very good friend who was a heroin addict but he's been clean for years now and if he ever started using again I wouldn't let him around the kids, they love him like he was family and I wouldn't want them to see him strung out.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I almost agree with Princess s21, Sexual Crimes can constitute any number of things. Definitely any sexual abuse of a minor. Who wants that around kids.
    Also a day visit would be ok but I wouldnt want someone with severe anger management issues because anything can wake up a child and you dont know what will set of an angry person.
    HIV positive or negative is a non issue as long as that person and your family is safe and has common sense about it. Even if there is a catastrophe there are things that can help and/or prevent it from spreading if caght right away.
    katmiksits86

Answer by katmiksits86 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I have several family members I would not let stay with me.. HIV is not one of them.. If they will steal me blind, drunk, hooked on drugs nope..nope..nope.. If they are a sex offender nope,nope nope again.. Other than that,I can't think of any other reasons..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Would you flat out tell them why or sugar coat? If they're anything like my mom they will fin away aroun all your excuses until you just flat out say I just don't want to lol
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• Sexual crimes, habitual offender, alcoholic, drug addict, thief, and any disease that could be spread by being near another (tb ,pertussis, etc), btw HIV would be acceptable as long as I knew that they were a carrier so that we would be properly prepared if anything happened.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2011