Cell phone

So our family got new cell phones from At&t . My daughter took hers to the pool the other day, put it in her friends bag, and it got some kind of oil on it. It no longer works. I took it into the At&t store and they wouldn't give her a new one. They said that I should call and get it insured, because at the time it still(kindof) worked. Then they said I should file a claim. I asked them how much would it be if I purchased a new one and they said $250. I cannot afford that right now. Oh, and by the time we got home it did not work at all. So my question is...... is there a way I can get her a new one without paying a bunch. Is there a used cell phone place? What should I do? Oh, and she had the Flight 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2011 in Entertainment

• Unfortunately warranty doesn't cover water or physical damage and it has to go thru insurance. You can look on craigslist, eBay and amazon for non contract phones. You could get something for around fifty or so. You could also ask a family member if they have an old phone you can use,
    Vas for insurance I don't know if you will be covered since it was damaged before the insurance was added.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 11:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• at&t have a sim card. You can always go to walmart and get a cheap one and add her sim card into it!!! Than you dont have too pay 250... You can pay 10-100!
    ljmommy1211

Answer by ljmommy1211 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• First, try putting the phone in a zippy bag full of dry rice and shut the bag. The rice works to absorb the moisture from the phone. Don't know if it will work the same for oil, but it can't hurt. This sometimes saves a phone that got wet. Phone insurance is the best choice for teens. It costs, and it doesn't give you a new phone, though. I think it's $5.00/month per phone, and if you make a claim, you get a newly reconditioned used one, and you pay $50, depending on your insurance, but that's what it was for us. We dropped the insurance, but haven't had to make a claim since then anyway.
    As for what do to if it is still broke? How well does this teen's old phone work? Do you have any older phones in your house? It may seem unfair, but if you can't afford a new one, and she broke it, she may just have to use an un-cool older phone until she saves up enough to buy the new one of her choice. I'm sure she'll be more careful then
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2011

• I second the rice though it may be to late... Also look on ebay and craigslist for used phones. As a PP said all you need is the sim card.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011