Suggestions from moms w/ toddlers needed

My dd is sick w/ congestion 4 the 1st time.. 3 1/2 yrs old, what can we give her over the counter to help her breath, dry it up and calm her throat. Calling pediatrics 1st thing in the morning, but she can't sleep..

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Little Noses Saline drops and a nasal aspirator, baby vix vapor rub, and my mom used to use hot (warm) jelatin to soothe my throat. Worked wonders.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You can now buy infants and toddlers cold medications again. For a while they were off the market, but I saw today that they were back again. Follow the dosage on the label. Also, try to figure out why she is congested. Is it a cold starting, or allergies? What could be causing the allergy? Using a cool mist vaporizer can help with the cough, but don't over-use it, because it may allow molds to grow in the room. Let her sleep with a pillow - or two pillows, to elevate her head. Let her sleep in a recliner chair in the living room with a movie on. I never allow that normally, but make special exceptions for a sick child. I've also heard that rubbing vicks vapor rub on the soles of the feet, then put on socks, helps to draw the virus out and help you heal faster. Don't know as I believe that, but if it works, what can I say?
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I was going to suggest the same! The little noses stuff is really good. I give my dd some warm hot chocolate too :) Hope she feels better!
    SugarFoot84

Answer by SugarFoot84 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I normally don't give Noah anything, unless he really needs it like for the actual sickness, so with the sleeping part tho, I will just hold Noah in my arms, and put on some calming music and rub his belly or rub his hair, or maybe even sing to him. It gets his mind of wants hurting. sorry if this doesn't help, I'm not really good at in general children knowledge I only know with my own.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Vicks vapo rub amd bath. Also steam from the shower helps too. I use little noses also and it works great
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• eucalyptus oil or vapour rub, plus a nice steamy room (leaving shower on hot with all doors closed). You can buy a nose sucker thing too.
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 4:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Baby Vapor rub on the soles of her feet w/ socks (never near chest or nose as it can adversely affect breathing in young children)..........Warm Chamomile tea with a little honey and lemon juice will both soothe her throat and help to relieve a little congestion and rest better. Saline nose and suction.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2011