As a "Single Mom" what is the single most hardest time you have had??

sadA piog made me think of something in my past.  Being a single Mom for several years and looking back at all the responsibility that was on my shoulders in providing for my girls during that time......I was thinking about the hardest time I ever had after my divorce.

It got me to wondering what other Moms have been through as a single mother and with all responsibities on their shoulders and...what is the absolute worst time you might have had?  Like one of those "I'm beginning to wonder if I can really, really do this by myself" moments"?

Mine was a period of a year and half when we were living in an apartment  (no friends-family in the state and no financial help from anyone)..we were living on about $700 mo with rent at $450.  We had no car and no furniture except the girls bed and a 13" tv.  That was it.  We ate on our lap, I slept on the floor, watched tv on the floor, did everything on the floor, homework etc.  My cell phone was constantly getting turned off bcz of using the money for food & medicine instead.  I have seizures on top of this so, could not do without my medicine and am required to see my doctor every 30days.. Meds were $90 a month and I didn't qualify for help with that.Once in awhile Doc would give me samples.

We were literally stuck between a rock and hard place.  We made too much to get help and not enough to make it on and were just meeting our basic needs, food, shelter, clothes on our backs. I cannot tell you how many meals of beans & rice we ate, my girls still hate beans to this day.   It was during this time that life seemed so bleak and like it would never end.  I was terribly depressed also....  We would walk a mile to the grocery store and a mile back home with groceries in freezing cold & suffocating heat, pouring rain. There is more but that's the jist of it.

I never, ever, ever want to see days like that again!  We made it through and I know we survived it, but it got pretty bad all the way around. I know my dd's are tougher and learned a few things about standing in free food lines etc. About pride too. We had to survive and that was that.

(you know,... they say someone elses situation can always be worse than yours)

What is the worst situation you have ever had where you wondered if things would ever get better?

I can always learn something from someone else.

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 12:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I had to tell my sons that their father had dies from lung cancer. They were 11 and 14 at the time. No family or friends to depend on. Most of the time I just needed a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to. Knowing that I was the only person in this world that my sons could depend on was more than I could stand.
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 3:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Mine isnt nearly as hard as yours thou. My hardest times are when they want to know why their fathers arent around. I have to tell them the truth an then watch their faces sag with grief. Hurts to the core of my heart. Also, my sons father is a dead beat. He wont get a job. He get ssi an ssa. they wont give me child support. so either way I go, I get no help from either of their fathers. But if I could I would pat you on the back an tell you "YOU GO GIRL!!"
    kdbrantley82

Answer by kdbrantley82 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I applaud you. I haven't had anything nearly that bad. I have never been married, I have a five year old son. I have not been in a real relationship since the birth of my son. I have been in a long distance relationship for about four years now. Everytime my BF comes to visit my son wants to meet him. Still, after four years, he won't even meet my son. Dating has been the most difficult part for me and having a social life. I am extremely lonely about 60% of the time. When I don't have to work and my son is at his Dads, I get really depressed. Hard to deal with sometimes. The loneliness of it all.
    Michelle0805

Answer by Michelle0805 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My hardest time has been this past year. My son came home ill, and after all the hospital trips, surgeries, doctor's appts., he passed away in January. I can honestly say that this has been the hardest year of my life. I would never wish this on anybody, and I hope no one ever has to experience this, but he was my first son, and part of me died with him.

MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well, it may be now since I'm recently laid-off. I'm hoping it doesn't get bad for us.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 9:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Having to figure out how to feed two kids while unemployed and receiving NO support from a deployed husband. We ate a lot of hot dogs and pasta.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I never had to be a single mom but I think it is the hardest job in the world ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• So much. Emotionally it is hard, financially it is difficult (we don't receive child support), having to deal w/the father who is a complete and total ass.
    Sometimes I get lonely but the thought of dating sometimes makes me shutter (ex and I have been apart almost 2 years now). Single dating is a whole new thing for me & not sure if I'm ready or willing.
    Finding time for myself. I work FT so I feel guilty about that even though I KNOW I have to. Enough time for them....it all is such a struggle sometimes.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Mine was telling my seven year old that his daddy died in a car accident. I can be poor as can be and have to beg for food and clothing if I never have to break a child's heart like that again.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2011