Tithing

Did God do away with tithing in the new testment.?

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 12:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are encouraged to tithe, but not required. We are not bound by the laws of the Old Testament, the "old covenant". Jesus is the New Covenant. We must follow him, and only him, if we want to go to Heaven. Still, Paul talks about faith and works, in the N.T. He says that if we have love (are Christians) but do not show that (care for the poor or tithe) then we are worthless. The difference is that we WANT to help the poor, because we want to be like Jesus, not that we HAVE to give to the poor because we'll burn in hell if we don't.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 12:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I believe in the form of a sacrifice/burnt offering or whatever....because the law of moses was fulfilled with Christs' blood. But I believe He asks for 1/10th of whatever we have.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Tithing in the NT is shown to not be a matter of salvation, but under the Grace of Jesus the bar is actually raised on giving. It wasn't about a calculated percentage, but the heart giving it.

Stories about the widow's mite, or look at the case study of Annais and Saphiras (oh, I know I spelled those wrong!) in Acts. The Corinthians were specifically exhorted in regards to tithing.

My pastor once said in the OT/before Christ we lived under law and to not tithe was unlawful, but in the NT/New Covenant in Christ not to tithe is simply disGRACEful. Certainly stuck in my head!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 1:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Matt 23:23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!
    For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin,
    and have neglected the weightier matters of the
    law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought
    to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Luke 11:42 But woe to you Pharisees! For you tithe mint and
    rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice
    and the love of God. These you ought to have done,
    without leaving the others undone

My family always does AT LEAST 10% of our income for tithing.
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Anonymous, it's getting off the topic of this thread, but I wanted to address your point.

First off, I agree that Christians should not throw the Old Testament and original covenants out wholesale under the banner of allegiance to Jesus and the new covenant.

Jesus is not independent of the teachings of God to Abraham, Moses and David. Christians (at least in theory)(at least for me) believe that Jesus is the Messiah prophesied to Israel,the fulfillment of obligations in the books of law, and use the term "son of God" but believe that Jesus is wholly God, the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob.

We clearly disagree about the role of Christ, you and I, but to specifically address your point when I pray to Christ, when I petition to God, when I cry out to the Holy Spirit... all of that is not with three unconnected entities, but all with the same I AM.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yes, He did away with it right along with the Commandments...you know, since those are Old Testament teachings as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 AM on Jun. 26, 2011