FLEAS!!!!!!

Ugh this is so nasty. We have fleas in the house, and my dogs seem to always have a flea on them. We bathe them regularly, vacuum, treat the house with chemicals even though I'm pregnant, I use advantage on my big dog and sentra on the little dog. Advantage on my cat as well. We've treated the yard, too! I don't let the animals on the couch or in my bed either.. Heck, they aren't even allowed in my bedroom anymore. This is embarrassing and disgusting.
Seriously, we've locked all the animals out of the house, sprayed the entire house, even under the couches, beds, tables, rugs... Let it sit for an hour or so and then vacuumed. For some reason, the little dog seems to be covered in flea dirt within days of having a bath, is it cause he is closer to the ground??
What do I do more that I'm not already doing? Maybe I could vacuum every day instead of when the floor needs it? Ugh I'm NOT a slob and we don't have any other bugs. My house doesn't smell and I keep a pretty clean home.

:( I need a new house and a pair of shavers for my dogs.

danichaos

Asked by danichaos at 1:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Well if you're applying the flea treatment correctly, then it's just not working for you. Try other products, up to and including a flea collar. We tried the stuff you put on their backs on our dogs and that's the one time they've gotten fleas. We just use a flea collar normally.
    Uhura

Answer by Uhura at 1:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My vet told me that Frontline is better so I switched and I like it better. Gl.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my husband is against using a flea collar he says "its like wrapping poison around their necks"
    danichaos

Comment by danichaos (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree with not using a flea collar! Also you really need to make sure you are using flea product correctly....no bathing 24 to 48 hrs before or after treatment! Many people don't know this but it needs time to attach to hair follicles before being washed away. Also i have used many products but have had best result with advantix or frontline. My no. 1 choice is advantix!. Also treat your yard? GL!!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Flea collars are not recommended by most vets, they're just not effective. We don't have a lot of fleas, but our dog has flea allergy dermatitis, which means even one single flea will make her itch for days and she bites and scratches her butt raw, right above her tail. So we have to be very particular about keeping fleas away. I just bought FrontLIne for the cats and gave the dog Comfortis, which is a tablet she eats that's supposed to keep fleas from biting her. Not sure yet if it's effective, but I'm thinking of doubling up with FrontLine on her as well. She looks gross with a red raw butt. :/
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oh, and we bathe the dog nearly every day (say 4 or 5 days a week) with flea shampoo.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Comfortis.its the best on the market. I grew up with 6 dogs in the house with my parents have 2 now. Frontline is good it my dogs got immune to it. I 2nd recommend revolution. After u get the comfortis bomb your house. I promise if u buy it u won't be displeased.
    jenni_j

Answer by jenni_j at 2:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• @ judimary if you use Comfortis you wont need Frontline too! that stuff is miraculous!! When it first came out it was the only thing that worked on my mothers dog Megan which was a west highland terrier, and she used to have flea allergies on her backside. it cleared it right up!
    jenni_j

Answer by jenni_j at 3:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You say using a flea collar is like putting poison around their necks, but what do you think the other stuff is? Poison! I'm not saying I'm against it, just wanted to clear that up. :) If your dog is on a low quality diet, that is the first thing that I would change. Good food = stronger immune system and a strong immune system will be better at fighting off parasites. If you want to go natural, you can give your dogs a little bit of garlic everyday....The Daily Puppy & use Diatomaceous Earth (DE, make sure it is FOOD grade NOT pool grade)...Wolf Creek Ranch on them and in the house/yard.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Our dogs eat the best that we can afford (mostly Taste of the Wild, but sometimes I get Canidae grain free...I rotate "flavors" with each bag). Luckily, fleas aren't a problem for us and never have been. We don't regularly use ANY chemicals or anything on our dogs, but we have used it MAYBE 3-5 times on each of them...they are 3 and 5 and we've had them since they were 7wks old. We keep our yard mowed and clean, not giving fleas (and ticks) a place to hide out. I'm not saying others don't, I'm just letting you know what we do.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011