Does anyone know anything about buying stocks?

I have decided to start buying some stock but I don't know the first thing about it. I would like to know is it better to get a broker or should I learn to manage it myself.

mizzcjlj4

Asked by mizzcjlj4 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• Mutual funds are much safer because each one is a mix of stocks so the risk is decreased. You can manage it yourself with an account at Fidelity, Schwab, etc. It is cheaper this way than to have an advisor. If you do go with an advisor get a fee only advisor and not one who gets huge commissions when they sell you something. Educate yourself and do research at Morningstar, Maxfunds, Fidelity, and similar sources to learn about good funds and the differents levels of risk, fees, etc. I have several mutual funds and would be glad to give you a list of some good ones if you want to private message me. I can send it after work today if you want. Also you might listen to WTKK radio online on Sunday mornings, 9-12 EST. Just Google the website and you can listen live. It is co-hosted by Susan Kaplan who is one of the top 100 financial advisors in the country. I only listen when she is on. GL!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Then I highly recommend you consider other investment options. There are lots out there, and some that are far safer while still being aggressive. stocks are the most aggressive method you've got, and the riskiest. You need to do some research as to what types of investments you want, whether dividends are important to you, and what you're willing to afford to lose. Before jumping into the stock market, I subscribed to Kiplinger's, Smart Money, and other financial magazines and blogs. Remember that the authors of many of these magazines and blogs didn't see the financial meltdown coming... so even the experts are worthless at times.

The stocks I did well with were Teva Pharm, Taiwan semi-conductor, google, and starbucks. I did my own managing via scottrade and sharebuilder.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2011