How involved is the father in your pregnancy?

My husband goes to every doctor appointment, rubs and talks to my stomach, and runs to get me the food I'm craving. How involved are most men when it comes to these things? Sometimes I get upset because he doesnt seem to understand my emotions or doesnt want to sit there rubbing my back.

LittleCsMom

Asked by LittleCsMom at 8:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Some guys are very involved, some would rather run as far away as they can lol.

My boyfriend has been very involved in my pregnancy, but he too doesn't like giving backrubs or anything. He also won't rub my belly unless I ask. He's just not a touchy-feely person, it's something I've had to learn to deal with. But he's very supportive and he's gone to every appointment with me (when he wasn't working).
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Sometimes I don't think men even have emotions, so to try and get them to understand them is a lost cause. You're lucky he's even there with you. Suck up the back rubs when you get one, after the baby gets here no more what you need or want.
    Anonymous

• The father should be as involved as he can be. We are lucky because we bond with the baby even before birth, and the father doesn't have that advantage, so if he is willing to share the experience as much as he is able this will help him have a good relationship with the baby. :)
    My husband was not interested in the baby other than how the baby influenced my emotional and physical state. He really didn't bond with the baby until the baby was able to smile at him. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Yeah, it's not really "real" to most guys until they see the baby for the first time. I guess it's hard to bond with a baby that's not in your belly, kind of like you can't really bond with a relative's baby until they're born. (I know, a relative and a husband are two completely different things, but it's the principle, lol.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:45 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My husband is very involved it started that way when i was pregnant with our son granted he was an OTR truck driver for most of it but he made it home as often as he could for doctor appts and such and he was very involved with the birth. This one he has been home the whole time and hasnt missed 1 appt - he's looking foeward to labor and delivery hes excited to have a daughter on the way
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Well when I was prego my hubby was very involed he would do anything cause he looked at it like that's our child in there.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 8:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Not to be mean, but it makes me mad when people say that their husband won't rub their back or go get food or anything..the reason why is- my husband was deployed overseas the entire time I was pregnant and only got home a few days before she was born. So consider yourselves lucky that you have your hubby here with you!
    Anonymous

• My husband was terrific. He'd do all the silly things like get a hamburger at McDonald's and onion rings from Burger King and lastly hit the D.Q. He also didn't make fun of my obsession with the scent of play-dough which even I thought was a weird thing to crave and when I had to be induced because of preeclampsia he was there the whole 5 days:) I'm blessed.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• My DH is very involved. He takes time off for appointments. He has conversations with the baby almost every night, just like he did with the first. He tries to be very understanding of my mood swings and such.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• You are LUCKY.
    My boyfriend works all day monday through friday and can't go to my appointments, and hes so tired when he gets home I feel I have no excuse to be lazy and i rub his feet and give him the massage. I would never ask him for more than a roof over my head and food on the table since I am not working at this time. He does this every once in awhile which makes me appreciate it more=)

Men I think, will NEVER be able to understand what we are going through, and some of them I think are to scared to do the wrong thing because we can be crazy bitches..lol.

Overall, we are just lucky that they even are here with us, or stuck around.
    Women have it way worse and they have to go through this alone.
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 9:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008