Question about adoption?

I had a post yesterday asking why people that had over two children of their own didn't adopt. Most said that it was expensive and/or they didn't qualify. Honestly, I doubt any if them even looked into it.

One lady compared adopting instead of having the child on your own with the difference between getting a pure bred dog and a rescue dog. I think that's kinda harsh when talking about adopting a baby.

What are your views on adoption? Do you think that someone who can't afford to adopt or doesn't qualify should be allowed to have 4+ children?

Flippindadaisie

Asked by Flippindadaisie at 2:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Adoption through foster care is not expensive. It is not overly difficult, and adopted family members are NO DIFFERENT then biological family members. I come from a family where my grandmother is adoptee, an uncle is an adoptee, and 4 of my siblings are adoptees, and Hubby and I plan on adopting once we get into a bigger place. We agreed on a total of 4 children 2 biological and 2 through adoption. All the ignorance out there about adoption really makes me ill....
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Adoption is easy & inexpensive when you go through social services.  www.adoptuskids.org 

Davethomasfoundation.org  has a lot of good links and info on financial aid & adoption assistance

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would never adopt because I CAN have my own children. We are having our fourth within the next two weeks!
    Adoption is a messy process and I wouldn't wish it on anyone who doesn't need it.
    I think people who aren't going to take care of their kids shouldn't have them... that would lessen the amount of children who are available for adoption in the first place.
    I love my kids and there is no reason that I shouldn't be able to have them just because I don't want to pay someone for a kid.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 2:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Dh and I compromised on this, he wants two kids, and I just wanted to adopt. I am currently pregnant (we were trying) and I'm hating being pregnant I'm constantly morning sick. I told DH he better hope for twins if he still wants two children because there is no way I going through this again. So he brought up adopting, so we are planning to adopt our second child.
    AimBre

Answer by AimBre at 2:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I looked into it just for the heck of it once and from what I saw it is pretty expensive. Not to mention there are a lot of legal hassles and whatnot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'm actually planning to adopt if we want more than two. Cost really is a factor for us, but it's so worth it to give a child a home. I don't really want to get a baby though since the older ones are less likely to get chosen ad loved. I want one of them.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 5:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Personally I just wouldn't want to jump through all the hoops to adopt.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It was the ignorant comments I got that really aggravated me. I can't believe someone compared an adopted child to a rescue dog... it really made me sick.
    Flippindadaisie

Comment by Flippindadaisie (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I can't believe that either OP. And if I had been in that question then I probably would have gone off on somebody and maybe got kicked off CM. My brothers and sisters are NOT comparable to dogs! They are my brothers and sisters. It doesn't matter if they were born to us or came through foster care.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2011