Why is it that kids in the state

i grew up in the system.but never understood why kids in the system get treated so differently.we was always considered trash to some people.in school often made fun of.and during school even if the child in the system didnt start a fight was always to blame just because we was foster care.i never could under stand why people even teachers was like this when the only thing in the world we wanted was to be accepted.

mom2curlyboy

Asked by mom2curlyboy at 3:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Because some people get so wrapped up in their own life that they have no compassion or understanding of those less fortunate than themselves, honey. I agree that the way you were treated was horrible, and I would be embarrassed to have been involved in that treatment in any way. I'm sorry, I'm glad you made it through and out of the system. Now you can work at making a better life for your kids than you had! Just chalk the hateful attitudes up to ignorance, and be sure that it doesn't happen when you are around.

MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Maybe it is just me, I swear I do not see a question mark nor a question here anywhere. Wahhhhhhhh, I need to hear a bit more of your sad little story b4 I can possibly placate you. Been there, done all that and moved on! ......got bigger and better things to worry about
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Why are you being such a bitch truthteller? What has anyone done to you? What could you possibly have to worry about that is bigger or better than any one else's concern? What makes your problems so special? There did I ask enough questions for you?
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 4:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• thank you mamaalice for the sticking up for me. its ok she she just needs to find some love in that hatred heart of hers is all. and as for the basher where are you manners geez. i have been threw that all of that. im not asking for someone to feel sorry for me its just a question that kids in the state ask them selves everyday because that what they go threw everyday.yes i have moved on from it.but i still see the samething go on and on everyday.if you have lived this then you would know whats its like and maybe would have asked the same question
    mom2curlyboy

Comment by mom2curlyboy (original poster) at 4:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• People just don't understand they judge
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 5:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I saw the question as "Why is it that kids in the state/in the system get treated so differently? Why consider them trash?" I added a question mark, true, but I didn't think it was that hard.

OP: One key way of relieving anxiety is to find someone else who is "wrong," "less than," or who provides a "them" so there can be an "us & them" situation, with some people belonging & some not. ("Belonging" becomes "more" meaningful when there are people who DON'T belong.) Mainstream society fosters this way of thinking on every level--even the most constructive efforts (such as the attempt to provide discipline & guidance to our children) rely on assumptions & techniques that perpetuate these attitudes...the fear of scarcity is HUGE, for one. And it reinforces the "need" to make sure there are "have nots" as WELL as "haves."

The underlying issues are fear, alienation & anxiety. Prejudice is a secondary thing, or a result of fear.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Here's my two cents (and please don't think I am talking about you here, just my own experiences). My parents were foster parents from the time I was 8 years old until I was 14. We had 57 different kids in and out of home in the span of 6 years. Over the course of those years we had some good fosters and some bad fosters. I was stolen from, lied to and about, and physically mistreated (by older kids, not my parents). My guess is that people see this negative behavior from foster kids and assume that all of them are the same. Like I said, we had good and bad, but the bad is what people remember.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• cause society people are mean.....thats it.....very sad but its the way the world is.
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 8:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• it's that they are uncomfortable with the situation and because most children in the system carry blame, hate and resentment for how they got there it often makes people have a hard time relating to those children. Is it right, no but it is how things are and like a PP said, they assume because one is bad that all are bad.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011