Cat question

My cat is the sweetest cat ever she lays by me every night and follows me everywhere i go but she wont let me hold her.. she lets me pet her.. she'll even stop at my feet and meow like she wants to be picked up but as soon as you do she'll squirm to get down or freak out.. Anybody else have this problem?

proudmama930

Asked by proudmama930 at 4:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Our cat is the same. She loves being pet and laying on your lap/legs etc but will not tolerate being picked up. I think it is more that she likes being petted and loved on HER terms, not when WE want to pet her lol
    Misery_Stitches

Answer by Misery_Stitches at 4:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My cat does that too. Maybe she doesn't like they way you're picking her up. Try making sure your arm is supporting her bottom. Cats don't like feeling like they're falling.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 4:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Maybe her tummy is a little sore? Was she spayed? IDK, just a thought.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have one cat like this, Kate. She loves to have her tummy rubbed and likes being where we are but doesn't like being held. It's her preference so we just go with it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My cat let's us pick him up but only for a short while.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:26 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• you might be smothering the cat too much, if a cat thinks that it cant escape, it will squirm
    Jackmother239

Answer by Jackmother239 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• both my cats do this they will rub against my leg and purr and meow like they want to be picked up but the moment I pick them up they squirm to get down. They don't do this with my husband and I can't figure out why but just let them do their own thing and when they come to me just give them the attention they want.

Cats have a personality of their own and know what they want and don't and they will do this in fact my cat is rubbing up against me and meowing right now; our vet told us when we hold them let them rest on the length of your arm and then that way they feel like they are falling.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I wouldn't consider it a "problem" She's just feeling too vulnerable being held. I think you should count your blessing that she enjoys your company enough to lay near or on you. All cats have different personalities and yours feel safe with four on the floor.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 29, 2011