If your daughter threw a toy at her baby sister what kind of displine would you give her?

time out, a spanken or just sit her on the couch tell her she cant move till you say so? or take her toys away?

taratennant60

Asked by taratennant60 at 7:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• We still do spankin's, no matter how frowned upon they can be. My DS threw a toy at my niece last month (DS is 3.5, N is .5). He got a swat on the butt, an explanation of *why* we don't/can't throw toys at the baby, and he lost that specific toy for the next few hours.
    RavishingRen

Answer by RavishingRen at 7:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I guess for me it would be a question of how old your DD is and when did this happen. If it happened yesterday and you weren't there then I would not punish her, if she is young. Usually kids only understand punishment if it happens right after the bad deed. So I would talk to her about not throwing her toys and tell her if it happens again this is what will happen, for example" "If you throw your toys again you will be put in a time out." I would then tell the babysitter if she throws her toys this is the punishment so it can be taken care of when it happens. I personally don't believe in spanking so I would not do that.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• oh wow
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 7:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• oh okay great
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 7:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• We do not spank. I would tell her that was wrong and tell her to apologize. Then I would take the toy and say now no one plays with it.

Answer by gemgem at 7:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• oh i heard of that kind of displine before?
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 7:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• How old is she?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• We spanked our kids when they were young enough that it had an effect (our kids are 12 and 16, so not so much anymore). I'm guessing your child is considerably younger. If this were done on purpose and a repeated act I would have spanked, but the intent out-weighs the outcome (for me) with small children. In any case, the toy would have been gone. If it were a repeat act, the toy would have been donated to charity, first time offense, I would have put it up for a while.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• right i hear ya that sounds like a good way of displine if my daughter would ever do that
    taratennant60

Comment by taratennant60 (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• We take the toy away, then I tell him that we arnt going to talk for 4min(his age) and not talking at all plus taking his toy away for the day usually works out. Goodluck mama!
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 8:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2011