Isaiah 45:7 - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Here, god says that HE created evil, so unless there is a mistranslation (which there could be because there always is it seems), I don't understand why there is a debate about this...

So, is this correct and if it is, why is it ignored and why is evil/wickedness blamed on the decisions of man when god is the one who created it in the first place?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:09 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Here's a Jewish perspective on the verse and the issue of good vs evil.

Sharon

momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Perhaps since God created the angels and Satan is a fallen angel (Lucifer) and Satan and his minions are thought of as evil while the angels are thought of as good. Honestly, though I don't know. It's a little too early for me to really be overly astute this morning.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Anon you gave me a good little laugh. Not meant in a bad way. If them questioning things so much bothers you maybe this section is not one you should visit.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I dont know you can probably call down to one of the seminary college and ask them for the true script and see if the wording is true or the best they could do when translated? I know when I attended seminary college it was really amazing the way some words really cant transfer over. Ask one one of the profs there there love talking to people, even non students. I wouldnt know who to ask its been awhile since I went there but you can message me and Ill give you the site with contact info. If you really would like the answer that is.

Answer by gemgem at 7:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think because God gave man free will. So even if the interpretation is that he created evil it is our choice to follow it and to give into it.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 7:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• "So it makes sense to hear that God can make well being and calamity"

In Hinduism, we have an aspect of god named Shiva. He is the god of destruction & responsible for calamities such as the great flood. BUT, he is not viewed as evil. Through his destruction comes cleansing, rebirth & creation.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Uhmm, no, God doesn't say it, whoever wrote that said it. I'm not a literalist or one of those who believes in the inerrancy of the text.

Plus, I'd have to go back and read the *whole context*, to see what I thought this passage was trying to say. But, no, I don't believe God is responsible for "evil" (though I don't even really believe it (evil) exists, merely that there are often negative effects of our own actions, which can be negative in themselves. I don't believe natural disasters, etc, can be "evil" since they are neutral events that just are).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• There is much in the bible that resembles Hinduism, but people keep a blind eye to it.

What makes you say that-? Do you think people dislike similarities? Do you think they think it dilutes their faith. I have not witnessed this, but am curious to hear what you have seen in this regard. I like the inter-connectedness among faiths, I think it strengthens all of them.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Ok...we don't understand Hebrew. That's what concordances are for, no? The word "evil" in this verse means disaster, calamity, adversity, affliction, sorrow, trouble. The evil talked about here is not moral evil, but specifically for God's judgment on people and nations.

You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. (Ps. 5:4)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Great question.

In my eyes, yes...god did create both good & evil.

"god" (or whatever y'all call it) created good & evil & left us with the choice to decide which path we want to go in. This is where karma plays in...we can choose whichever path we want, but be prepared for repercussions...

This is a verse in the bible that makes sense to me. I think it is correct. There is much in the bible that resembles Hinduism, but people keep a blind eye to it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2011