Military?

Ok first things first ; I am 19 yrs old and my current education level is a GED . For the past couple months i have been thinking a lot about the abuse and bs i went through in past and this probably has nothing to do with military idk but i have been having an intrest in military, army whatever within those lines that involve pushing my limits, enduring the heat , pushing myself to the point of breaking. Basically my intrest in are either something thats knowledge based (like phycology) and/or pushing my self to the extremes ( What doesnt kill me makes me stronger) I already know i have made these decions based on the out come of the abuse i went through which made me stronger and smarter. The whole reason i am asking this question is bc i want to know if its possible to have a job within one of these two intrest that i have. I want a job that includes these requirments but i also dont want to leave my son for a year at a time. I dont want him to not know who mommy is when i get home :( . I have been thinking a lot about this subject latley and was wondering if i could go to college or something online to take classes like this to further my knowledge and education. I do have a intrest in military and if i could get a job or something along those lines to where i could come home everyday and see my family than that would be great.

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 7:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• honestly, if you want to be home every night for dinner then the military is not the choice for you.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 7:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well, joining the military you will always have to worry about deployments. Not matter the branch. Do you have a husband? If no, then you won't be able to join anyway. If you are a single parent you cannot join. As for psychology, yes you can do online schooling. I would try and do my associates first if I were you, that can be done easily online. For a psychology degree, I would recommed actually going to a university so you can get the interships and such.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• They don't take single parents and deployment are hell on your kids. The medical, dental, housing and pay differ by branch and location as to how good they are. College is very hard to attend while in and your GI bill isn't as limitless as it seems. Get a degree and go in as an officer, much better life style with the military that way!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• No matter what job you get in the military there is a possibility you could deploy. If that is not something you don't want to do, don't join....
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• From what I gather, you are wanting something similar to the military but not necessarily the military itself. Have you thought about becoming a police officer or something in the criminal justice field. Depending on what state you live in, you could put yourself through police academy. In my state the police academy is from 8-5 and you get to go home everyday after class.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Go air force. You will still have to deploy but they are the most understanding when it comes to family.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 12:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• With military, they can TELL you you will work a 9-5 and the likelihood of deploying in practically nothing BUT the second you enlist, they can do whatever they want.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• military dont take single parents! where would you put your children for your time at basic training and your additional school? You need to go to school and get whatever degree or certificate you can and get on with your life....maybe you can meet and marry someone in the military....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 7:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Read about here and then give it some thought.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011